Great British Locomotives Magazine

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Great British Locomotives Magazine

Post by Manxman1831 »

Kestrel wrote:I sense some B17 A4 style conversions on the cards here.
I was having similar thoughts along the lines of the proposed C1 rebuild with streamlining...
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Wouldn't it be ironic if "Great British Locomotives" magazine in due course covers the V2, including a free model, and the model turns out to be the right shape.......
Thats just what I thought when I saw their production plans. Even at £8.99 I dont see how they can be making these at a profit unless we've being seriously ripped off with the £100+ we are paying for larger steam locos now.
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The value of the plastic in an oo gauge loco would be approx 3p.........yes 3 pence, the molding dies cost the money, but once you have made them, they'll last for years. try the B12, that's been around for 50 years.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Manxman1831 wrote:
Kestrel wrote:I sense some B17 A4 style conversions on the cards here.
I was having similar thoughts along the lines of the proposed C1 rebuild with streamlining...

I already have a B17/5 so was also planning a C1 streamlining and looking into suitable rtr chassis (after I crack on with the Q6 & P2)

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

52D: north is UP on most maps published in this hemisphere in the last 4 centuries....

auldreekie
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

For most politicians, 'the north' is anywhere north of Islington and an area not to visit. Socially, the boundary used to be the Watford Gap services on the M1. In terms of distribution, the magazines reasoning seems sound enough - the people with the wealth to be able to afford such luxuries are mostly located around London and the South, so it makes more sense to try out a new product there rather than in the poorer areas. Such is the 'North/South Divide' in the present economic climate.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

It was naughty of me to start this diversion so I've smacked my fingers, and now I'll hide away.

auldreekie
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

With any luck, sales will be good enough that the distribution will be expanded to a wider audience.
Brian

Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

I'm seriosuly tempted to take out a subscription, but I really would like to see one of the models in the flesh first. Another thing that worries me is the quality of the models going down after they have got the number of subscribers they want, but perhaps thats just me being paranoid!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

No, realistic.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:No, realistic.
Can you let me know your honest opinion of the A4 when yours arrives?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Gladly.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Thankyou Graeme, your a goodun!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's evidently available from Sainsburys in parts of Essex, looking at a similar topic on RMW today and finding this early example of profiteering on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-BRITISH ... 3a7f6a8733

£6.99 already for a mag that actually cost only £2.99.......

By the way, a bit of digging around on the web, and lateral thinking, makes me wonder if these models are actually an Eastern European (Polish?) rip-off of other manufacturer's items. But then if the original manufacturers would actually make spare bodies etc available, I'd gladly pay for the real thing rather than pay the plagiarists for their wares.

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Well I admit to having purchased another recently off eBay at an extortionate price (at least compared with the cover price). I was determined to get hold of one!

The way I looked at it, I have wasted more than I spent (several times over), in my time and energy trying every newsagent/supermarket on my travels! :roll:

Even at the price I paid, I am hoping that the parts I cannibalise will still make it absurdly cheap. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Gentlemen, I will report back when it arrives. :)