Great British Locomotives Magazine

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Great British Locomotives Magazine

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm not quite sure how we are supposed to exercise the option to buy individual copies direct, for 50p extra, when the website offers only a subscription form and no clear means of contacting the publisher. Not very satsfactory!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Having failed with Sainsburys and WH Smiths, I have now also failed with Asda, Tesco and Morrisons.

I thought in this day and age everything was supposed to accessible to everyone? :roll:
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

I contacted my local newsagent today - who deliver our papers and he was going to get one for me - they had not arrived in Scotland yet. John Menzies are the local wholesale newsagents up here and they do have some on order - so will report further when I get sight of one.

Whilst the A4 and Coronation might be easily adapted for powered use, it will depend on the makeup of the conventional models as to the feasibility of their adaptation as powered models. For instance if complete boilers are modelled, then some surgery would have to take place to get a motorised chassis to fit.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

It sounds as if I was really lucky that my local Sainsbury had some in stock - probably not the case today. Given the apparent rarity of these I am loathe to increase peoples frustrations getting one.

The chassis is removable. There are two small screws, one under the cab and another under the front bogie. I could not find a way to access the front screw and the bogie came unglued in the process, so I suspect after assembly the front bogie is glued in place:
IMG_0048.JPG
The body has a flat plate which drops out leaving a hollow body shell:
IMG_0049.JPG
Finally a view of the backhead:
IMG_0050.JPG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

ASDA and Tesco drew a blank for me - I still haven't managed to get to the local sainsbury's, but if I can find one, I have great plans for it
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Wow, thanks Mike. I'll visit likely outlets to see if they have any.

Looking at the website http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/, the second one, an LMS Streamlined Duchess will be £5.99 and the third one, the Flying Scotsman will be £8.99. The fourth one will be SR 'Stowe'. They're out every fortnight.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

WHSmiths in Meadowhall also drew a blank yesterday, but wasn't really looking for it.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Oh, just noticed, I've graduated to a 'GNSR D40 4-4-0'.

I've just drawn a blank at Tesco, Morrisons, Asda and Sainsburys. One each occasion "Sorry, not seen it."

Not even the two local shops that have a dozen or so different railway titles had it.

I'd just like to see one in my hand before I bought it.

They'll be going on e-bay for a fortune soon.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Wouldn't it be ironic if "Great British Locomotives" magazine in due course covers the V2, including a free model, and the model turns out to be the right shape.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Is this the tiresomely usual "North of Watford" distribution delay, or have they already been and gone I wonder - or worse still are we "plebs" in the North not thought fit to receive such merchandise????
My tremendously obliging local newsagent rang the publishers this morning (good bloke, top service) to find out what's going on. I wasn't far off the mark with my previously sceptical speculation. We Northern scum can do without for the time being, as the magazine is at present being trial marketed only in the important South. HUFF! I have however been able to order one for supply "in due course" and I'm told that availability should, eventually, be plentiful. We'll see.......

auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Can't resist speculating on where the line is drawn between "north" and "south". I thought it was a couple of miles north of Berwick-upon-Tweed (provisionally, that is), but there are others who'd suggest a line from Stonehaven to Helensburgh, or perhaps the Great Glen....

auldreekie
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Ah well according to Auld Reekie it seems im a Northener.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Local Sainsbury has no further stock and I have not found any other stockist so I cannot see how it can possibly succeed. One problem is the physical size of the model and packing which I suspect a lot stockists will struggle to find space for.

I seem to recall when a part work for building a model railway with the first issue containing a Mk 1 coach was issued, I could never find a stockist.

Yes, a V2 is listed
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

I sense some B17 A4 style conversions on the cards here.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

MikeTrice wrote: Yes, a V2 is listed
:D

Who reckons for this reason we will see a Bachmann V2 this year!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939