Great British Locomotives Magazine

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Great British Locomotives Magazine

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

BTW good luck to anyone trying to undo the plinth screws on their GBL A2s. I could only unscrew 1 of the 6 in my 2 models - will have to drill them out I think! :roll:
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Old trick, slightly tighten to break out, then undo immediately. That got mine of its' plinth 'JLT'. The screws holding the body together were similarly well tightened.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Has anyone who has got one taken one apart yet and can confirm how it's all put together? I am thinking now that I know it's a single chimney example, of ordering a job lot as I could use them to make the rest of my A2/2s and thus save a Peppercorn A2 bodyshells to sell instead. The tenders I am unsure about but for A2/1 certainly they could be used. It's a shame they haven't seen fit to do the A1 - as well - as an apple green Darlington variant instead would be something Bachmann have never done (Tornado doesn't count because of the tender modifications).
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Has anyone who has got one taken one apart yet and can confirm how it's all put together? I am thinking now that I know it's a single chimney example, of ordering a job lot as I could use them to make the rest of my A2/2s and thus save a Peppercorn A2 bodyshells to sell instead. The tenders I am unsure about but for A2/1 certainly they could be used.....
I only really want the boiler and firebox. The 5000 gallon tender is a rivetted example.

Here's how it all breaks down:
GBL A2 breakdown
GBL A2 breakdown
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Further to above photo, the deflectors and cab are cemented in place, come free with a little knife work in the locating lugs; removing the cab also releases the cab interior parts, which were out of position on the two examples I have. The boiler skirt is ten minutes work with a fine miniature file to eliminate / reprofile, the mould part lines on the boiler sides and the awkward transition from round to flat on the RHS firebox side are easily dealt with. It could hardly be better designed as project feedstock.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Hatfield Shed wrote:.... The boiler skirt is ten minutes work with a fine miniature file to eliminate / reprofile, the mould part lines on the boiler sides and the awkward transition from round to flat on the RHS firebox side are easily dealt with. It could hardly be better designed as project feedstock.
The lubricators and sandbox fillers also need to be removed if you want to use the boiler and firebox to replace a kit item (I'm thinking Crownline / PDK here).
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Ivan, would you be prepared to sell or swap your tender? It'd be perfect for an A2/1 I am going to be working on shortly.

I've been unable to get any of these in the usual locations in London - so it looks like I may have to speak to the publisher directly. :?
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Ivan, would you be prepared to sell or swap your tender? It'd be perfect for an A2/1 I am going to be working on shortly.....
No problem - name a figure, and don't forget postage.

I was lucky to find even this one; it was the last one at the local Asda. I suspect that the next one out - the Class 47 / Brush Type 4 - will be in even greater demand.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks Ivan - I will send you a PM later on accordingly.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Thanks Ivan - I will send you a PM....
Thought: before you use it, maybe you might let Graeme assess its suitability as a master for a new tender body mould..... :wink: :mrgreen:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Horsetan wrote:
S.A.C. Martin wrote:Thanks Ivan - I will send you a PM....
Thought: before you use it, maybe you might let Graeme assess its suitability as a master for a new tender body mould..... :wink: :mrgreen:
Interesting thought - potentially could be the master for two body types (Doncaster and Darlington variants).
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:....potentially could be the master for two body types (Doncaster and Darlington variants).
Exactly....
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just out of interest Ivan, how does the cab fit to the running plate? It could be an almost straight swap for a Bachmann A2 cab - if it is, it's not badly lined out - could be a way of renumbering an A2 easily to Blue Peter.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Just out of interest Ivan, how does the cab fit to the running plate?....
It's a clip-fit - i.e. two rectangular "prongs" under each cabside, glued into matching slots in the footplate.
Clip-fit of cab....
Clip-fit of cab....
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks Ivan - exactly the same as an actual A2 more or less if you remove the lugs. I reckon that would do nicely on a model I've been working on.