Hornby Rolling Roads

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Hornby Rolling Roads

Post by Graeme Leary »

This may be 'bleedin' obvious' but is it "safe" (ie for the decoder) to run a loco with a DCC decoder fitted on a Hornby Rolling Road using the standard analogue/DC controller supplied with 'standard' trainsets?
I ran one decoder fitted loco for 1/2 an hour each way as described (and it ran perfectly) but then had the sudden thought that maybe this would/could damage the decoder. One of my local retailers said for just 1/2 hour each way should not be a problem but I would be grateful if someone could confirm this.
Many thanks.
Graeme Leary
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Hornby Rolling Roads

Post by M Gair »

Hi Graeme,
I have had the same info given by a retailer.
I would suggest trying to pick up a Bachmann or Hornby DCC controller cheap to use on your rolling road or a length of track. I have both a Hornby rolling road and a length of track (3') on a plank of wood. I use the Bachmann dcc controller for testing, running in.
Well worth the little expense, but I was given mine fortunately.
mark in Oz
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The primary risk to the decoder I would guess at with sustained single direction DC operation is overheating the pair of diodes in the rectification bridge, corresponding to the running direction.

With DCC supply the diodes in the rectification bridge are at least 50% of the time non-conducting at the DCC track frequency of circa 8kHz, and the current is kept low because the DCC supply is always maximum voltage. Worst case operationally in DCC is full power to a motor under load, when each half of the bridge could be carrying the rated continuous current output of the decoder, for almost half the time. In DCC the diodes get 50% off-time for heat dissipation, so on average they are only carrying half the rated continuous output current.

Two thoughts.
Provided the current draw in sustained DC operation is significantly less than half the rated continuous current output of the decoder, that should be OK.
The decoder should be well away from the motor (or other heat source), to avoid any external heating.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks to you both - points noted (and this could well be of interest to others too).
Graeme Leary