"Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: "Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

Post by jwealleans »

For those whose patience hasn't been exhausted yet, Chris' photos from Day 3 at York, by which time we'd probably just about got the hang of it all again. These must have been taken over a fairly extended stay in front of the layout as they cover several moves. Hopefully I can remember what's supposed to be going on and you'll be able to follow.

One of the less expected stars of the show from an operating point of view was 3465, a NuCast O2/2 converted into an O1. A fortuitous find at Pontefract Show in January, it had nothing more than a clean and service and was brought along on trial rather than with any real expectation. It performed pretty well faultlessly over the dead frogs for a loco with no tender pickups (yet) and I suspect has leapt straight into the permanent roster. It did see service on the down mineral empties, which is the usual working for locos I want to try out, but here is taking the Iron Ore empties back to High D y k e.

In Platform 4, J5 3027 awaiting departure to Lincoln and Boston with a short train of older Howlden stock. 3027 is a London Road Models kit and one I very much enjoyed building.

On Platform 5 an arrival from Derby and Nottingham. J39 1273 has just detached and will proceed to depot for turning and servicing. This and the other Bachmann J39 we have never cease to amaze me - they still have their original split chassis mechanisms with no additional pickups and work reliably show after show. They are thoroughly cleaned between shows and every so often I strip them right down and clean the axles and keeps. I suspect that's probably why they still work so well, despite both being bought second hand.

Looking further right, towards London, an A3 waiting to relieve an Up express. Beyond it the end of a goods for Peterborough, which I think means we're fairly well through the sequence here. I can pick out C1 3251 in the old shed and bottom right is one of the High D y k e O4s, 6229 or 6246, having turned and getting ready to leave the shed and resume its journey north.

I included this picture not only for Graham's signals and North Box and part of Paul's townscape behind, but for the partial shot of the other Eric Fry loco we had on loan, the 'neverwazza' P10 2-8-2 tank engine. It's identical to a V1/3 above the running plate but with very different frames and motion. I believe this loco was built by the late David Steinle. We didn't run it but had it on show for the duration. It made an interesting contract with the usual north end pilot, a J54 built for us by the late Caroline Middleditch.

Almost the same scene, but 1273 has now reversed out onto the viaduct and then returned down the shed road. This was a Lincoln loco in the 1930s and I worked from a picture showing it well bulled up on shed. It has yet to have the detailing which these Bachmann models benefit from and I do have to point out that after 10 years I still have not completed the 3500 gallon GS tender which it should tow. Appalling lack of effort.

Down at the south end we can now see that the relieving engine is a local resident, Robert the Devil. Tom Foster weathered this engine and made his usual outstanding job of it. To the bottom of the picture, C12 4529 is south end pilot and across the bottom can be seen the loaded wagons from High D y k e, bound for Scunthorpe.

Back on the shed, but the new shed building, C1 4432 (DJH), A1 2550 Blink Bonny, a Grantham resident and beyond them K3 227 from York, identifiable by the Hulburd water treatment/heating gear it carried until about 1940. This is a Bachmann model with an SEF tender. 4432 was a lockdown ebay buy with a very tatty paint job: it turned out to have a big Portescap and now repainted and packed with lead it will pull anything a Pacific will manage. I have had up to 16 kit built carriages behind it, but that was probably just showing off.

Panning left to the old shed, 1273 is now almost turned and ready to return whence it came. The incoming O4 on the High D y k e service can be seen. There were no turning facilities on the branch, so engines went up chimney first and then returned tender first as far as Grantham, where they stopped and turned. In this case it looks as though whatever unidentifiable O4 this is will be relieved. An equally unidentifiable J6 (one of my NuCast ones) is just backing down to the coaling stage. In the background 3465 is turning onto the Up relief road, so the up and down High D y k e workings are visible together. The engine will run just past the Great North Road bridge at the south end and then stop to water.

1273 has turned and is now backing down to coal and water.

A wider view of the new shed, with C2 3254 (DJH, by Tony Wright) in evidence. I was looking for this loco at the weekend as it managed to shuttle in and out of north fiddle without ever crossing my eyeline in the three days. Behind it another J6, not one of mine so I can't identify it. The A4 waiting to move back up the shed is Commonwealth of Australia, one of the two Coronation A4s we had for the weekend. At the rear, where we started, the Up High D y k e which looks to be making its water stop.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

All these photos really wet my appetite Jonathan!
Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Agreed, something to 'Drool' over.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I hope you've got your controller fingers in training, Andrew. I think Graham is expecting to give you your money's worth.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

And there I was, trying not to spoil the surprise for him...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I was up at Graham's this weekend testing some more engines in preparation for Bristol show. Part of the layout has been up for repairs to some of the electrical systems which were troublesome at York. That gives a chance to run and fettle a few of the newer acquisitions outside the pressure and glare of a show.

Speaking of which...

I spotted this on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and not being able to resist a C1, came away with it. No idea of age or provenance, sadly, but Tony Wright on RMWeb reckoned the motor might be 70 years old, so that may give an idea of how long it's been part built. It's a lovely piece of mainly scratchbuilding and deserves to be finished.

Unsurprisingly it didn't care much for slow running over dead frog points, but was very happy galloping up and down the main line so it'll get a run out at Bristol just as it is here. A reminder to readers at that end of the country that this might well be your last chance to see Grantham. We'll also have Andrew (Woodcock29) with us for a couple of days, which everyone is looking forward to.
Jim de Griz
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

jwealleans wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:38 pm For those whose patience hasn't been exhausted yet, Chris' photos from Day 3 at York
Thank you for posting these, Grantham is definitely on my list of layouts I want to see in person, but I couldn't make it up to York.

I don't suppose there is a published list of appearances?

Jim de Griz
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Jim, it's in Graham's signature block on RMWeb if you look through the Grantham thread on there. At the moment it's Bristol weekend after next and Newcastle over Remembrance weekend. After that, Abingdon next March and I believe GETS in Milton Keynes in October 2025 is currently its last booking. That remains subject to change, of course, if other exhibition managers come knocking.
Jim de Griz
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Thanks Jwealleans, I'll have a look on RMWeb and keep any eye out!

Jim de Griz
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Grantham was at Bristol over last weekend at what was (for me, as a first time visitor) a large and very high quality show. Very good to see and chat to Morgan, whom I haven't crossed paths with for far too long. i hope any other readers who saw us enjoyed both the layout and the show. We had quite a leisurely setup compared to the usual pre-show scramble and it was spread over two days (Thursday afternoon and Friday morning) so it all felt much more relaxed than it has on many other occasions. We had time for a spot of indulgence:

https://youtu.be/V2F_-dlJnIc?si=AcmEwMGxwj9pLDxV

I had planned to run this during the last hour of the show when we pack up, but having no ballast in it at all it couldn't move any trains, so we sent it out on test during the setup. I'm very much hoping to have it completed for Newcastle in November.

Friday morning, then, back into the swing of it...

We were very pleased to be joined by Andrew, Woodcock29 of this parish. He took to the layout like a natural and certainly justified his selection.

I'm not sure what guidance my good lady was offering here.

I'm afraid I have a complete mental block about where those coal wagons start and always end up with them in the wrong road.

But hey, who cares? Tom's not here so we'll put out an extra few dozen wagons to shunt with.

Steve keeps coming back, despite the rest of us. I'm not sure about that mixed train he seems to be making up there, though.

I'm not sure what happened when Roy pressed that.....

Once the show opened, as you can tell, we were flat out the whole afternoon and evening....

Both the blue pointy ones seem to be out and running, though, so we were obviously entertaining the masses. Afterwards we retired to a nearby establishment.

Would you buy a used A4 from any of these men?

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Saturday morning rolled around and having had no better offers, it was back to the show. I like to record a general view of the layout for posterity and by the time I got set up to do this one, the Rapido boys were there with their goodies. They'd asked if they could photograph the new single and the J52 on the layout.

No-one can resist a Single, although the one I already have will remain single, I'm afraid. A chance for everyone else who missed them last time around to catch one. Mine has been a faultless performer at every show we've done and there can't be many weathered ones about. I only know of one other who's been daft enough to do it.

Andrew had brought with him this based-on-a-Ks J3. Readers of the Little Bytham thread on RMWeb will already have seen it performing there. I'd spotted the replacement Stirling tender (from LRM) but I didn't look underneath where it has the Mainly Trains J52 frames.

It mainly (exclusively?) worked the Ambergate trip and performed beautifully all the time we had it.

I started to do my usual survey of what was out the front, but was interrupted fairly quickly. I did see this trio of Atlantics in the shed. We had a bit of a game with the Atlantics: there are 8 GN ones in all (not counting the brass one) of which 7 are C1s and one a C2. One C1 (3251, in the background here) is reserved for the Leicester set as it has tension lock couplings. One (4432) is a heavy hauler and works turn and turn about with the Pacifics, so should not really ever come on shed. Of the remaining 6, 4401 failed on Saturday and is still awaiting works, but there should still have been 5 in traffic. By Saturday afternoon we had not a one round the back and were really scratching around for suitable locos. By mid-morning Sunday I think we had all of them again, yet that was a further one and a half times round the sequence. It's a bit odd and just as well I acquired all those K3s during lockdown.

Just a little left, the north end pilot caught in mid-move when we stopped on Friday evening. Graham and I, with others, have the sad task of disposing of Caroline Middleditch's railway collection so it's nice to see a small reminder of what a good modeller she could be.

Chris H posted another selection of views from Saturday on Flickr, so if there's no objection I'll add a few of those here:

The shed looks fairly empty here, nothing moving up or down and nothing on the main lines. 4217 is largely a static exhibit these days, being used for track testing in the main. I think the J6 is 3622, a NuCast one I acquired last year. I'm guessing the A4 is 4466 Herring Gull just on the length of the nameplate (Gadwall would be the other contender). It looks like a Tom Foster weathering job so it has to be one of those two.

Chris has then turned left to look at the shed throat and the queue of engines waiting to depart. The A4 is Osprey, one of the two allocated to Grantham. I think that one is a detailed Bachmann model. 6229 will probably be going to pick up the down (loaded) High D y k e working you can see in the previous picture and 4114 will probably be going on another trip to Ambergate.

Moving down towards the Great North Road bridge, it looks as though the incoming empty Ambergate wagons are being dealt with. Below the shunter there's been a mishap and a job for the scenery team at Newcastle. Some movement on the main line, though: K3 4005 has the up Aberdeen perishables passing the stabled Leicester set. I didn't recall that 4005 had worked this train as well. it usually alternates on the Scotch Goods with 4771. 4005 is from an SEF kit with the GN cab and was painted by Larry Goddard.

I've skipped a little way here: we're back at the shed throat and 2548 Galtee More has just come off a Leeds train and is coming on shed. Atlantic 3275 has also appeared, most likely off the quad set which can be seen in Platform 5.

A few moments later, Galtee More has vanished, most likely out of shot to the left in order to get onto the turntable. 4494 has not yet moved, but behind it 4114 has, as predicted, picked up the Ambergate trip and is getting ready to depart. Above the brake van, the Atlantic which was in the south end loco spur has crossed over and is backing down onto the quad set to take it Up towards Peterborough. In front of 3276 is another C1 which we haven't seen much, 3272. This one is ex-Hitchin, scratchbuilt at King's Cross Models and after some fettling has turned into a reliable performer. It's had a replacement motor and gearbox from High Level (one of the big coreless ones) and been festooned with pickups. I just need to sort out the loco/tender coupling and it'll be done.

Let's finish with this lovely shot Rob Allen kindly posted on RMWeb of 2752 Spion Kop in the Down loco spur. This is one of mine, based on a Hornby NRM 4472, weathered in the Tom Foster manner and a bit of a favourite. Am I the only one who thinks that the NRM A3s are generally better performers than the normal range ones?
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good day all on a sunny day in Surrey,

I was intending to visit Bristol to see Grantham, but rail problems on the Branch (Redhill-Guildford-Reading) led me to cancelling the trip. I don't like driving distances these days. The same happened when Grantham was a Fareham last year. I think the powers up above don't want to see Grantham again.

I am planning to use my next visit to Grantham as a loco-spotters excursion. I was like a schoolboy collecting numbers (in this case types) for long periods, the last time I saw Grantham.

Abingdon is a possibility in March 2025, but not Newcastle in November.

Best wishes to all involved,

Malcolm
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Great write-up Jonathan and it certainly looks like you all had a great time and some excellent running! You're right about the show - we went last year for the first time and enjoyed it very much.
Chas