Chocolate Express

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Chocolate Express

Post by Bryan »

I have been asked if I know anything about a Train that appeared at Scarborough in the 60s I think. That had a headboard advertising a brand of Chocolate.
I have no further details.

I Have no idea on this at all but I thought someone on here may know.

Thanks.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Chocolate Express

Post by WTTReprinter »

It was quite common for big companies to charter trains for their staff. Bournville and Rowntree certainly did, the coal industry did, and I think Northern Rubber of Retford was mentioned in another part of this forum recently.

I have some special traffic notices in my collection. Taking one notice, there is:
Stourbridge - Skeggy for "Edward Webb & Sons",
Halifax - Morecambe for "Halifax Soc. for the Blind",
Doncaster - King's X for "Doncaster Plant Workers",
Derby & Eastwood to Skeggy for "Derbyshire Miners",
Cambridge - Skeggy for "British Sugar",
Askern - Bridlington for "Askern Working Men's Club",
Claypole - Blackpool for "Warwick & Richardsons",
Cross Gates - Doncaster for "York Miners"
Three charters from Wakefield District to Cleethorpes for various Working Mens Clubs,
Laisterdyke - Morecambe for "Sutton Estate",

This was just the private charters. There were also countless additional vehicles added to convey pre-booked parties, numerous excursions, schools charters, pigeon & horse specials, etc, etc, etc... All of this was one week in June 1953, 47 pages!
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
Armstrong
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Armstrong »

In June 1963 the Milk Marketing Board I presume, had an exhibition train called the "June Dairy Festival" which visited Scarborough on the 4th, the stock was two ex Gresley coaches and a BR Mk 1 all painted in a primrose with green stripe relief. Could this have been the train you saw :!:
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

I remember one from Kiveton Park Colliery to Cleethorpes in the early 50s I think it started picking up at Waleswood, Kiveton Bridge, Kiveton Park, and Shireoaks, stop at Gainsbrough for water, then non stop to Cleethorpes.

My then G/F rode in the B1 cab all the way back to Kiveton Bridge.

Even had a go at firing.
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

Boris wrote:I remember one from Kiveton Park Colliery to Cleethorpes, a colliers special, in the early 50s I think it started picking up at Waleswood, Kiveton Bridge, Kiveton Park, and Shireoaks, stop at Gainsbrough for water, then non stop to Cleethorpes.

My then G/F rode in the B1 cab all the way back to Kiveton Bridge.

Even had a go at firing.
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55