New to the forum

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Griff
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

New to the forum

Post by Griff »

My first post on the forum.
I live in Cheshire and used to live near Padgate Station Warrington. Over the years I have without much success tried to find info on the Cheshire lines committee. Mainly type of locomotives that used the route. I have been told that B1's and other LNER/ER locomotives regularly used the route to Liverpool.
If anyone could advise what books are out there covering this line or provide any help I would be grateful. I plan on building a small layout in P4 using the station at Padgate as the main focus.
Thanks
Iron Duke
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: New to the forum

Post by Iron Duke »

Welcome to the Forum Griff.
I know little about the CLC but I am sure that the wealth of knowledge shared by it's members will soon bring the information that you have requested.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Hi Griff & welcome.

I take it that you are mainly interested in the BR period.

In early BR days, much of the motive power would have been ex-LNER types including ex-GCR locos (the GCR had traditionally supplied much of the motive power), D10s, D11s, J10s, J11s & others too numerous to mention.

LNER types would include B1s, K3s & J39s and on Grand National days A3s.

In later BR days, the London Midland Region took over and Black Fives ousted many of the LNER locos.

The history of the CLC is covered in the 3 volume work Great Central by George Dow (expensive) and a little Oakwood Press book called The Cheshire Lines Railway, both long out of print.

However, I suggest that you go to your local library and look through the range of railway and local history books, you should be able to find one or two with photos of locos on the CLC. I can't give you a title, but look for something like Railways in Cheshire in the days of steam. I also live in Cheshire and have come across several such books in my local library. Maybe someone else can recommend a suitable book.
Griff
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the replies!
It gives me abit more idea as to what motive power I should be looking at.
Griff