Does anyone know how to ?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Copley Hill 56C
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Does anyone know how to ?

Post by Copley Hill 56C »

I've been wondering if there is any way of finding out anything about past railwaymen. I have in my modest Railwayana collection an L.N.E.R handlamp which has L.N.E.R.LOCO embossed into the side. I know that these are not uncommon, but on the other side, a steel plate has been braised on which is engraved C. BRAMLEY, COPLEY HILL. The fact that it was used at Copley Hill was the reason I bought it some years ago. However I have wondered for years who C. Bramley was, and what he did on the railway. Anyone any ideas?
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Re: Does anyone know how to ?

Post by Seagull »

It is possible. The name Bramley is not common so that is a plus, also the initial 'C' is one of the less common ones.
Favourite for this would be Charles, but Cyril, Cecil, Claude and Clarence are maybes and also possible is some odd family tradition like Clowdesley!

First assumption is that he really was called C. Bramley - one of mine called himself Bob MacGregor which most definately was NOT his real name.
Second assumption is that he really was at Copley Hill or at least in the Leeds area.
Third assumption is that he did have some connection with the loco operating side of the LNER.

If he really worked for the LNER I would suggest trying the staff records at the National Archives.
A quick shortcut is to look at the electoral registers for Leeds during the time that the LNER existed 1923-1948

Working backwards through the West Yorkshire registers:-

1945-8 - John R C Bramley (Ripon) - Charles Bramley (Ripon) - Claude L Bramley (Ripon) - Constance A Bramley (Sowerby) (probably not her!)
1941-1945 There are no registers
1940 - Charles Bramley (Ripon) - Claude Latham Bramley (Ripon)
1937-9 - No 'C' s
1931-6 - Charles Bramley (Ripon)
1930 - Charles Bramley (Ripon) = Charles John Bramley (Ripon) = Clarence Henry Bramley (Ripon)
1928-9 - Charles Bramley (Ripon) = Clarence Henry Bramley (Ripon)
1927 - no results
1923-6 - Charles Bramley (Ripon) = Clarence Henry Bramley (Ripon)

Checking the above results suggests that none of them are likely to be your man. Back to the staff records I'm afraid.

You could try posting a request on a family history forum.

There is one possible match, but without other evidence I would regard it as dubious. See the attached marriage certificate.

Alan
Attachments
32355_249471-00187.jpg
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Does anyone know how to ?

Post by PinzaC55 »

The NUR used to publish handbooks with basic details of their members and their jobs by depot and I used to have one for the north east but they are very hard to come by. It is possible that Kew Public Record Office might have one for the West Yorkshire area. Another possibility is the Local Studies section for the local library.