NE Railway Staff Magazines

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

peterfr
NER Y7 0-4-0T

NE Railway Staff Magazines

Post by peterfr »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if facsimilies are available for the above magazine. I'm interested in the one for February 1917. I believe it has a piece about my Grandfather in it. He was killed in 1916.

Thank you.

Pete
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NE Railway Staff Magazines

Post by 52D »

Rob Langham can you help?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Have you contacted NERA?
Website ...here...
I'm not sure if there are copies in the Ken Hoole Study Centre in Darlington. See the website about arranging visits.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

NERA supposedly has a full set and a couple of years ago I was party to trying to persuade NERA individuals (John Williamson was one ISTR) to benefit from the experience of the GERS, which had already had the GER, LNER and early-period BR staff magazines digitised. I do not know if NERA proceeded to take advantage of that offer.

The LNERS has a partial set but I do not have to hand the information as to which years/issues are missing from it.

The NRM Search Engine no doubt has a set too and in the past has helpfully responded to my requests by providing copies of specific pages of contemporary publications, although of course it helps considerably if you can pin your request down to a page or month/issue.
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

NERA produced a CD in 2014 which has the NER magazines from 1911-1926. The February 1917 issue is in Volume 7 on the disk. It notes that 697 people to date have been killed who were in NER service.

A previous poster has already provided a link to the NERA website... if you have problems in sourcing the disk I could search for your relation. The obituaries cover many pages.

Hope of help,

Steve
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Hi Peter, drop me a message with his details and I'll see what I can find. The digitised copies are extremely useful (wish they were available when I was writing my book on the NER 1914-18 and the nearest accessible copies were about 150 miles away!)
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
peterfr
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by peterfr »

Hi Rlangham

Thank you and all the other members for replying to my query. My grandfather was called Peter McGovern. He was killed in 1916 in France. I think the edition of the magazine was printed in 1917 and the page was p29. It's probably just a memoriam but it would be nice to know. Once again thanks for your interest and offer to help

Pete
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

Pete,

The entry is as you note page 29 NER magazine Vol 7, February, 1917.

"Lance-Corporal Peter McGovern, Durham Light Infantry, was killed in action on September 24, 1916.

Prior to joining the colours, Mr McGovern, who was 27 years of age, was employed as machinist in the Darlington locomotive works.

He had been in the Companys service for 11 years. "

There is also a photo belwo the entry of P McGovern.

I will send you a pm later this evening.

Steve
peterfr
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by peterfr »

Hi Steve,
Many thanks for that. It's something I've never seen before

Regards
Pete