Green Arrow Freight Service

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Green Arrow Freight Service

Post by drmditch »

In reading 'A History of GWR Goods Wagons', Atkins, Beard, Hyde and Tourret (I don't have enough 'common user' vehicles on my railway,) I found the following statement:-

'The GWR ran an experiment with registered transit loads between 1927 and March 1929. This was a great success and became the 'Green Arrow' service. The other railway companies would not accept the principle until March 1933 when they at last followed suit.'

I had previously thought that the Green Arrow service was developed by the LNER, and was a logical development from the fast fitted freight services of the GNR and LNER.

Does anybody know where to find more information?

(I cannot remember any reference to a GWR pioneered service in Hughes/Allen etc.)
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Green Arrow Freight Service

Post by teaky »

Reference here to the LNER setting up the service in 1928.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/7-fops ... intype.htm
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

'Somewhere' in my collection i have some gummed labels that feature a green arrow on a white or cream background. I believe these were stuck on to wagon labels or transit labels if the vehicle/parcel was to be included in a Green Arrow service. I have always wondered if a surcharge was paid to get the Green Arrow special treatment?
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

You may be sure it commanded a premium, Richard, as their transit was specially monitored, unlike most freight wagons pre-TOPS. There was a railway cricket team at the old BR(LM) sports ground at Hatch End who went by the name of the 'Green Arrows'. Didn't seem to raise any eyebrows, though :)
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
melton
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by melton »

I can remember seeing wagon labels with the gummed green arrow attached in the early 70's. Talking of pre-TOPS labels, they used a two letter and one figure route code - for some reason I remember Liverpool Alex Dock was LL1. I wonder if anybody else can recall some destation codes?
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

Here's a Western region poster - gives price (!)
Attachments
Green Arrow Poster.jpg
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

1H was 2E wrote:Here's a Western region poster - gives price (!)
Very good to see that excellent image, 1H was 2E: Thank you.
And what a bargain, to get such special service for 12.5 pence ! :lol:
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There's a very interesting article on the origins of the Green Arrow service (and the 'Blue Arrow', which I hadn't heard of) in the current LNER Society Journal, which I received yesterday.