EDINBURGH ST. MARGARET's: THE STORY OF THE 'OTHER' EDINBURGH DEPOT OF THE NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY 1845-1967

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

EDINBURGH ST. MARGARET's: THE STORY OF THE 'OTHER' EDINBURGH DEPOT OF THE NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY 1845-1967

Post by v3man »

Harry Knox's history of St.Margarets shed in Edinburgh is out last month from Lightmoor Press. My copy is on order and I can't wait to get my hands on it!
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: EDINBURGH ST. MARGARET's: THE STORY OF THE 'OTHER' EDINBURGH DEPOT OF THE NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY 1845-1967

Post by JASd17 »

I certainly enjoyed his Haymarket volume.

John
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: EDINBURGH ST. MARGARET's: THE STORY OF THE 'OTHER' EDINBURGH DEPOT OF THE NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY 1845-1967

Post by 52D »

Must have it, the Haymarket book is my most read railway book. My Grandfather started at St Margarets as a cleaner.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

Got my copy yesterday and it looks up the the same good standard as the Haymarket books. It'll take a while to read my way through it but I've already looked through lots of good photographs, many of locations well known to me in my youth.
R16v
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by R16v »

I have just bought this book and can recommend it very highly, the pictures are fantastic and very well laid out..

I pass the site a lot and can't get over the total size the site must have been.. Truly excellent book a must buy!!!!
MidlandExcursion
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by MidlandExcursion »

I bashed both 64A and 64B (the latter, I think, was already all diesel) in 65 or 66 - but have no idea of the origins of these depots.

That is to say - you imply in this post that both were NBR sheds. So why the two?

Presumably the demand for locos meant the original shed (St Margarets?) was too small, and another had to be created?

I guess St Margarets was the original, because it was the A shed - and Haymarket had the B code.

Yet, of course, Haymarket had control of the pride of the fleet - the A4s and other pacifics that were allocated to the LNER flagship services.

Could someone explain the history/genesis of this duo of MPDs please?
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

In brief, the two depots were originally opened by different companies, less than 2 years separating the events. When the NBR took them over and Waverley Station opened to give a direct link betwen them, both had to be retained to provide the necessary capacity. Both were expanded over the years, including a new shed on the other side of the line at St Margarets. The NER also had a shed alongside but this was later demolished.

The BR sehd codes have nothing to do with age of the depots. The A shed is usually the largest, though not invariably, and may also have maintenance facilities for other sheds in its area. St Margarets had a considerably larger allocation than Haymarket, though this was not reflected in the accommodation it provided, being one of the most overcrowded depots in Britain.

Kudu
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Just had a quick look through my new purchase time to start a slow perusal soon.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.