GCR London Extension shunting question

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Chris Grouse
NBR J36 0-6-0

GCR London Extension shunting question

Post by Chris Grouse »

I have a question regarding shunting operations on the GCR's London Extension.
With a typical GCR station having the goods yard on the Up side of the line, how would a goods train be shunted across from the Down line into the goods yard? Bearing in mind the GCR made heavy use of trailing points and slips.
Would a train be set back over the crossover, draw forwards into the goods yard , then set back into the headshunt, or would there have been more than one crossover to enable the loco the run round the train before setting back into the yard?

Chris
Chris Grouse, Duty Station Master Quorn GCR, Senior Conductor EMT
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: GCR London Extension shunting question

Post by D2100 »

Only guessing Chris but wouldnt they do what was done with most pickups - shunt in one direction only (the easiest)? I.e. in this instance the yards would be shunted by the up working, but the down would just run past.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Chris Grouse
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Chris Grouse »

I don't know, that's why I'm asking!
That does make sense though I suppose, I would imagine the pick up working originated at Leicester and went as far as Rugby?
What then is the purpose of the two trailing crossovers at most(if not all) GC stations?
Chris Grouse, Duty Station Master Quorn GCR, Senior Conductor EMT
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by 60156 »

Don't know if it helps but the sequence for empty stock arriving at New Basford carriage sidings was as follows.
Train arrives from Nottingham Vic on the down line and passes through the station, stopping clear of the crossover at the north end.
It then sets back over the crossover into the up platform and is then drawn forward into the sidings, loco hooks off and runs round to push coaches into the shed.
Loco then reverses back into the up side platform, forwards over the crossover and away to Annesley. That was in the early 60s anyway.
The goods yard was on the down side to the south of the station and in a deep cutting, as far as I recall, the trip working came from the north, presumably Annesley and was backed into the yard from the up line.
I'm not sure if a loco used to come from Annesley specifically to shunt the carriage shed and yard. I certainly recall seeing locos on the carriage sheds which wouldn't necessarily have been for a main line working, a J11 (64420) and a little later a standard 2 tank (84007).
Then again there is a photo somewhere of a Britannia shunting the goods yard!
Nottingham East Midlands Model Railway Exhibition
Saturday 21st March Sunday 22nd March 2015
Hadden Park High School Bilborough Nottingham
http://www.nottingha...railway.org.uk/
Tony west
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Tony west »

Chris,
try Chris Ward ( FB friends of the GC group)he was a fireman at Annesley, he should know !.
Cheers Tony.