Hand Lamps

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nigel
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Hand Lamps

Post by Nigel »

Hi Everybody,Does anybody know what colour hand lamps were painted in LNER days eg.Shunters lamps etc?I have recently acquired a Shunters lamp,complete and stamped LNER and an ordinary hand lamp described as "an Engine Inspectors lamp"also complete and stampedLNER,both are painted red but the underside of the bases are black.Any info would be appreciated.Regards Nigel.
2512silverfox

Re: Hand Lamps

Post by 2512silverfox »

Handlamps were painted black. Have several and have stripped two GNR lamps back to base metal. Individual owners may have repainted or scraped and polished, but black was the official colour.

Passenger and goods train tail lamps were red until 1938 then white: goods side lamps were black. The only other use of red lamps that of which I am aware was the side riding lamps on passenger nreake coaches up until Grouping.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Just to bump an old thread.
I have just got a North Eastern Railway Guards Handlamp.
On the rear of the reflector it is etched with the letters N.E.R.R.H. ?
The last letter I cannot make out. But has a vertical bar to the left and may have a cross bar at half height.

To me the first 3 would most likely be standing for North Eastern Railway.
Does anyone have any ideas as to the meaning of the last 3 ?
Would they be for a Depot location or the initials of a guard that it was issued too?

Any information appreciated.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

From memory a lamp turned up in one auction brass plated "RHB" and everyone thought it was Robin Hoods Bay but it turned out that RHB was the initials of a lamp manufacturing company.
The same goes for NFR stamped on carriage keys which everyone thought was a badly stamped "NER" but was in fact a metalware company which made carriage keys.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

PinzaC55 wrote:From memory a lamp turned up in one auction brass plated "RHB" and everyone thought it was Robin Hoods Bay but it turned out that RHB was the initials of a lamp manufacturing company.
The same goes for NFR stamped on carriage keys which everyone thought was a badly stamped "NER" but was in fact a metalware company which made carriage keys.
Most LNER carriage hinges, latches and locks are either stamped "NFR" or "KAYE LEEDS" as indeed are many BR fittings.

Sawdust.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I have finally managed to access a remote and cobwebbed part of my brain and remembered that NFR stands for N F Ramsey.
As I said it often caused confusion because many carriage keys were only stamped NFR.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

The only letter in doubt on my lamp is the final letter as I mentioned earlier.
All other letters are well defined.
Going by Pinza's comment it may be the Lamp manufacturer.
However would this be the case as the way I understood that the NER worked was to produce nearly everything "In House"
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

PinzaC55 wrote:I have finally managed to access a remote and cobwebbed part of my brain and remembered that NFR stands for N F Ramsey.
As I said it often caused confusion because many carriage keys were only stamped NFR.
I can never remember that name, thanks Pinza.

Sawdust.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »