Beamish Station

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Beamish Station

Post by johndon »

I wonder if anyone can confirm how passengers would have accessed the Down platform to Consett at Beamish Station. Unlike other stations on the line, it did not have a footbridge.

The section of map below from 1959 appears to show a flight of stairs to the end of the platform on the right?

John
drmditch

Re: Beamish Station

Post by drmditch »

Pictures 41,42 and 43 of Roger Darsley's 'Consett to South Shields' (Middleton Press) show a board crossing at the eastern end of the platforms. They may also show a fenced pathway down to the eastern end of the westbound platform. The map on the previous page (not sure of the date) shows a path down to the middle of the platform just to the west of the waiting shelter.

What is 'up' and 'down' on this line? Mr Darsley refers to westbound as the up direction, which it obviously is physically; but the major centre of population would be Newcastle rather than Consett, so should not the 'uphill' direction be 'down' in railway terms?
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

I was aware of the boarded crossing but I didn't know whether it would have been for passenger use or not.

As for the up and down, I'd always assumed that the line up the hill to Consett was the down line as it was going away from Newcastle. Having said that I've just checked a signalling diagram I have for South Pelaw Junction Signal box and it has the line to Consett marked as 'Up Main'...

John
Last edited by johndon on Sat May 10, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

Hi all
I've been looking at a photo and Pelton also had no footbridge ,with a foot crossing on the East end platform.
52H
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Some of the ECML northern stations such as Warkworth and Tweedmouth had subways but there is no indication on the maps at your locations.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.