Sunderland Roker Park Football Platform

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Sunderland Roker Park Football Platform

Post by PinzaC55 »

Does anyone here have opening/closure dates for this mysterious platform which I have never seen a photo of ? As far as I know it was at the north end of Wearmouth yard between there and Seaburn.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Sunderland Roker Park Football Platform

Post by 52D »

Bloody Hell as a confirmed Makem I always thought Seaburn was the only station for Roker Park. I watch this thread with interest.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

If it was there in 1936 it would surely be visible on this:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw051130
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

52D wrote:Bloody Hell as a confirmed Makem I always thought Seaburn was the only station for Roker Park. I watch this thread with interest.
Well funnily enough I remembered (since writing this thread) that I had some copies of old OS maps of the Wearmouth area in my collection. I fished them out and it confirmed the platform existed at least on or after the opening of Seaburn station in 1937. Being an OS map I can't reproduce it here but I have inked it in on a google Earth scan here
Sunderland Football Platform location par PinzaC55, on ipernity
There was a small rectangular building which i guess was a ticket inspectors office and i presume it was built of wood.

*61070 Britain From Above was my first port of call but although there's a suggestion of the end of the platform on one of the shots none of them are far enough north :|
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Also from Ian S. Carr's book "Railways Of Sunderland" (Tyne & Wear County Council Museums 1985) below a photo of a football special arriving at Seaburn - "Seaburn also replaced the football platform in Forfar Street as the station for the Roker Park Football Ground".
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

I tried having a look on the 'Closed Stations' website, to no avail.

However, there is a simple map on the description for Sunderland Fawcett Street which shows a 'Fulwell football platform,' between Seaburn & Monkwearmouth. Would this be it?
The link to the page is:
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/su ... ndex.shtml
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Off Topic but, when in the area always went to a "Cob" shop near the Old Ground and I guess he was a Sunderland F C supporter as the shop was painted in Red and White (Stripes if my memory serves me right). Great "Cobs".
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 61962 »

I remember the platform in Forfar Street in th 50's. The fence was close boarded, painted red with multiple doors, but I don't have any recollection of it ever being used. If you look at Streetview for Forfar Street starting at the junction with Cromarty Street and facing north you will see the point at which the stone wall ends and is continued with a steel palisade fence. At that point the fence steps out from the railway and that was the southern extent of the station fence. Continuing north the fence steps back towards the railway where Hilda Street begins. This was the northern end of the station fence. The platform would not have been longer than this as I don't think there would have been sufficient room between the fence and the railway.

Many happy days spent watching the trains passing Wearmouth Junction. Sitting on the stone wall and feeling the heat from locos as they rolled by.

Eddie
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Wow, thanks for the info ! All we need now is a photo.....