Fowler 2-6-4Ts at King's Cross?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Fowler 2-6-4Ts at King's Cross?

Post by Hatfield Shed »

But withdrawn at the end of Feb 58...

I cheat comprehensively by having 68846 in MT lined black. This loco stayed near Hatfield for three years from 1959 on the Mowlem site at Marshmoor, where Captain Smith kept it, (admittedly in a most attractive GNR green livery) a major local attraction when I was a boy. Lucked into a good Hornby body some years ago, and stuffed it with a lightly modified mechanism from a Bach Pannier (correct Crewe 7'3+8'3" wb and wheel diameter) so my little Humpy both runs very sweetly and looks pretty well; a happy reminder of what once was.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Fowler 2-6-4Ts at King's Cross?

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi seem to remember 68846 ex. works & lined out a (34A)engine (&earlier in normal Black)it featured in the Exhibition @Noel Park Goods Yard amongst other locos, once in preservation it hauled a Branch line tour in the Hatfield /Luton areas ,Never saw the N5 @ (34C) but pretty sure one or possibly more were @ Neasden & the N5's also appeared on the Chesham Shuttle, but running round each trip, being without push and pull, unlike the C13 class or the Ivatt tank locos that worked the Branch. Also can remember on the "Creep"a J52(34B) making a show of things up the incline, rare but happened sometimes &saw that somebody had partly cleaned/rubbed the side tank so as to reveal part of its pre '48 number & green paint from past years.