The Elizabethen Express

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, richard, 2750, Atlantic 3279, Colombo, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

robertcwp
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:30 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby robertcwp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Haymarket wrote:Thanks for responding so quickly and with such detailed information. I'm not familiar with the coach codes but managed to find an LMS site that explained them. I would have expected more First Class accommodation on the train because of it's non-stop nature. I thought it might have attracted more business passengers as well as holidaymakers.
I did not realize that the kitchen and restaurant car were combined. I remember separate kitchen cars in early LMR expresses. I suppose they had to keep the weight down on the Elizabethan. I have been taking a very close look at the film again and I'm wondering if there are not more than 18 seats in the dining car scene.
Also in the film, I believe the scene after the train has just passed Grantshouse shows that the BG is behind the locomotive so perhaps the set was reversed on that occasion.
Chris

The scene with the BG leading is probably a southbound train.

The open third/second was also dining - there was separate dining for each class. Here is the 1958 formation:

Image

Italics indicate fluid dining. Asterisks indicate Mark I stock.

By the late 1950s, the key business trains were the morning and evening Talisman workings.

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: York

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby Bryan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:15 pm

L&Y Man wrote:
mr B wrote:Bet they didnt use artists licence in the making of "Smowdrift at Bleath Gill" ?

Mr B ,,, Travels Arriva for free.


They did use a little, actually. If you watch the BBC4 programme, "The British Transport Film", shown on 23rd October 2009, they tell you how they did it, along with other BT Films, some well-known, others not so.

L&Y Man

Is this available anywhere?
Can't see it on I player.

37b
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: SW Scotland

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby 37b » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Bryan wrote:
L&Y Man wrote:
mr B wrote:Bet they didnt use artists licence in the making of "Smowdrift at Bleath Gill" ?

Mr B ,,, Travels Arriva for free.


They did use a little, actually. If you watch the BBC4 programme, "The British Transport Film", shown on 23rd October 2009, they tell you how they did it, along with other BT Films, some well-known, others not so.

L&Y Man

Is this available anywhere?
Can't see it on I player.

I think it has long dropped off the iplayer.
I downloaded it at the time and have it as a .mov file which can be converted to Dvd format.
If you can't get it let me know by pm, and I will try to send it either electronically or on cd/dvd
Dave

Haymarket
NER Y7 0-4-0T
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby Haymarket » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:46 pm

robertcwp wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Thanks for responding so quickly and with such detailed information. I'm not familiar with the coach codes but managed to find an LMS site that explained them. I would have expected more First Class accommodation on the train because of it's non-stop nature. I thought it might have attracted more business passengers as well as holidaymakers.
I did not realize that the kitchen and restaurant car were combined. I remember separate kitchen cars in early LMR expresses. I suppose they had to keep the weight down on the Elizabethan. I have been taking a very close look at the film again and I'm wondering if there are not more than 18 seats in the dining car scene.
Also in the film, I believe the scene after the train has just passed Grantshouse shows that the BG is behind the locomotive so perhaps the set was reversed on that occasion.
Chris

The scene with the BG leading is probably a southbound train.

The open third/second was also dining - there was separate dining for each class. Here is the 1958 formation:

Image

Italics indicate fluid dining. Asterisks indicate Mark I stock.

By the late 1950s, the key business trains were the morning and evening Talisman workings.
Thank you for thiis excellent information. It seems that they may have included a scene featuring a southbound train in the film.

I see from the 1958 formation that the Buffet Lounge has been omitted from the 1958 stock, as you mentioned previously.

Assuming that all seats in the Dining Car scene have seats facing them then this would make a total of at least 30 seats in the car filmed.

User avatar
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: Near the GN main line in N.Herts.

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby StevieG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:52 am

Haymarket wrote: .... " I'm not familiar with the coach codes but managed to find an LMS site that explained them. " .... Chris
You may find this topic (a 'sticky' one) -
http://www.lner.info/forums/codes-for-passenger-stock-t641.html
- herein, at the top of "Railway Chat", useful to refer back to about coach codes.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \

Haymarket
NER Y7 0-4-0T
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby Haymarket » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:16 pm

This is great information. Thanks.

Deepol
LNER J39 0-6-0
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby Deepol » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:34 am

A nice photo from an old BR Staff magazine of Empire of India leaving on the Elizabethan with Windsor Lad's crew looking on. A fine tenderful of coal there as well!
Attachments
60011EmpireOfIndia-depWaverley-UpElizabethan-60035WindsorLad.jpg

stephenmarrable
NER Y7 0-4-0T
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby stephenmarrable » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Bob Marrable -

I wondering if anyone could help out with some info on Bob Marrable?

I'm currently compiling the family tree, when younger my nan and granddad often referred to a Bob Marrable in the family who was the driver of the Flying Scotsman 4472.

When I first learned of the 'Elizabethan ' I quickly obtained it, and still have it to this day. Now sadly after some minor digging, Bob (or Robert) Marrable is nowhere to be found within current family.

Any information would be most welcome, please use pm for initial contact.

One of the key problems of researching ancestry is that current census information is only up to 1911, so taking the filming date of either '53 or '54 what age would you suggest a Toplink Driver to be?

What shed would Bob Marrable worked from?

many thanks for your time in advance.

hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'
Posts: 1152
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:32 pm
Location: Newbury, Berks

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby hq1hitchin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Kings Cross shed - (34A), Stephen. His fireman in the film, Roly Ruffell is still around and has written a book '48 Years on the footplate' by Railway Heritage. A rather fine photo on P75 of Driver Marrable but difficult to judge his age from it, he would be the wrong side of 50 at that time because the 'Elizabethan' was in a senior link for drivers based on length of service.

Hope to be meeting some old Top Shed men very soon and will see what they can remember about him.
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!

stephenmarrable
NER Y7 0-4-0T
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby stephenmarrable » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:11 pm

many thanks for the replies I have had this, I'm very grateful.

Just to help you nice folk out, I am a member of two ancestry sites, just to save you all digging through the archives for me, again many thanks.

kindest regards

Steve

User avatar
60800
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 2308
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: N-Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby 60800 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 pm

The loco four minutes in has to be one of the commonwealth A4's. The rivet holes and dirt lines for the crest 'patches' are clearly visible.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it isn't 60009 as I don't see the mounting bracket holes for the Springbok plate. Or was this during the time it was on the cabside?
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F

User avatar
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3733
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:21 pm
Location: The Midlands
Contact:

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby Blink Bonny » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Ay, up Blackout!

Are you referring to Deepol's piccie. Double click on it and 60011 Empire of India is revealed in all its black-and-white glory!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!

Hermit 109
NBR J36 0-6-0
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:02 pm
Location: St Neots

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby Hermit 109 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Bob Marrable, according to Roland Ruffell (p76/77 - 48 Years on the Footplate), Bob retired a few weeks after filming finished, which means he would have been 65 years of age in 1953.
Roland Ruffell visited Bob at his home near Wembley after he retired and I quote "unfortunately early in retirement he became seriously ill, from which he was unable to recover"
Hope this is of assistance.

stephenmarrable
NER Y7 0-4-0T
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby stephenmarrable » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Hermit 109 wrote:Bob Marrable, according to Roland Ruffell (p76/77 - 48 Years on the Footplate), Bob retired a few weeks after filming finished, which means he would have been 65 years of age in 1953.
Roland Ruffell visited Bob at his home near Wembley after he retired and I quote "unfortunately early in retirement he became seriously ill, from which he was unable to recover"
Hope this is of assistance.


Many thanks for this info, I've managed to track Bob Marrable down to the age of 21 and living in Willsden, he was a fireman then according to the 1911 Census.

Presently it transpires he may not be related to my side of the family, though we are still digging and finding a lot of other info out. I've now included info from posts into my notes and would like to thank everyone for their kind help.

Once I know some more I'll post a follow up, but I believe this post really says it all.

again many thanks,

Stephen

User avatar
60800
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 2308
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: N-Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Postby 60800 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:30 pm

blackout60800 wrote:The loco four minutes in has to be one of the commonwealth A4's. The rivet holes and dirt lines for the crest 'patches' are clearly visible.

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay, up Blackout!

Are you referring to Deepol's piccie


This is the scene I was referring to BB. It definitely can't be 60009 as 6001# is visible. It has to be either 60011, 60012 or 60013. Did 60012 and 60013 work the Elizabethan, or just 60011?
Attachments
1.png
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F


Return to “General LNER Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests