Armistice Day

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Armistice Day

Post by 52D »

Members might like to see this photograph commemerating an LNER driver who lost his life in the Soham accident during the Second World War. It is situated on the Library wall at Littleport Cambs and was photographed last year.
I believe the locomotive ( A WD )was repaired and put back into service three weeks later, unbelievable if you see scenes of devastation around Soham following the explosion. I have pictures of the aftermath and will post them later.
Where was the WD repaired.
vo5F8xeVGu[1].JPG
Last edited by 52D on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Armistice Day

Post by hq1hitchin »

Fair play to Network Rail for helping with the memorial, not normally well thought of as an organisation.

Here is the Soham story, brave men indeed - the blokes on the engine had time to screw it down and run to save their lives, but they chose not to do so. Ditto the signalman, he must have had a good idea what the train was carrying, as did the guard.

http://www.soham.org.uk/history/trainexplosion.htm
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I am a part owner in the rebuilt Soham signalbox. It is rather shocking to see the glass embedded in the woodwork. We found large areas with this damage during restoration.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

In this months Railway Bylines there is a picture of the locomotive involved in the Soham explosion WD Austerity 2-8-0 No.77337. It states after the explosion the loco was returned to NBL for rebuilding, it was then sent abroad returning to the Longmoor Military Railway as Sir Guy Williams being finally scrapped in 1965. In the same article it refers to the Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST that masqueraded as 68011 for a film mentioned in LNER on TV and the Movies. I note the imposter is also carrying a shed plate it is for 40? i cant read the letter.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.