Search for 52A photographs

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52A Modeller
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Search for 52A photographs

Post by 52A Modeller »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and stumbled over the site when i was looking for photographs of Gateshead shed.
I'm in the process of track building for a model which is intended to be an impression of 52A. I won't have space for a full scale model.
I am despirate for photographs, of any quality, of the shed and it's environs. It will be an impression simple because of the space available but I intend to model structures and layout as faithfully as possible.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Bob
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Search for 52A photographs

Post by redtoon1892 »

What period are you looking for, steam or diesel ?

http://davidheyscollection.com/index.htm

http://www.derbysulzers.com/gateshead.html

I'm the photographer on these pages.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

There is a track plan from 1933 in Rail Centres:Newcastle by Ken Hoole, page 74. It shows the shed track plan but i am not sure how accurate it is as the old loco works buildings do not appear to be on it. the link below shows some of the surviving Loco works buildings. the building in picture 4 still had two sidings outside it until the area was redeveloped set in wooden cobbles. these two sidings passed through to the right of the building in picture 9 and was i beleive was part of the perimiter track around the back of the depot roundhouses. This track also survived under tarmac untill the site was developed.
http://www.picturesofgateshead.co.uk/gr ... index.html
52A Modeller
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by 52A Modeller »

My target date is about 1962 for the layout but I intend to use a bit of artistic licence. It'll be dirty, uncared for steam and green diesel. The layout will be DCC operated and i already have a few will sound chips.
The period will be stretched a bit to include later activities. I have a couple of sound chipped 24's for the Consett ore trains.
I need photographs of the structures more than anything else because although space dictates that i won't be able to do the shed to absolute scale, I do intend to model the buildings at the east end as failthfully as i can.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Before the depot changed over to traction it was a dogs breakfast of buildings most of which were swept away or "modernised" as in the main loco shed. Little changed after that until it was closed in the 1991 and demolished for housing development.
I have many photographs of locos in the depot from 1974 onwards as I had lost interest after steam went and in steam days couldent afford a camera or the developing costs.
these two pics, one I took and the other a postcard give a general idea of the layout.
Paul Bolgers book BR steam motive power depots N.E.R. ISBN 0-7110-1362-4 may be worth looking at for the track plan of 1952.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used
Attachments
Greenesfield 1978.jpg
shed layout.jpg
52A Modeller
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by 52A Modeller »

Great shots of the depot. It gives a better impression of the proportions than a map, I think.
I won't have the length to model the shed without some conpression but I thought I may not have the width. However, these show how squeezed the whole thing was.
I'm busy making the track for the junctions in the foreground at the moment.
I intend to do the main shed in the early 60's while the conversion was going on. So there will be still a turntable inside and one at the other end (don't know if I'll be able to get that one in.
Does anyone know when the signal box near the footbridge was demolished? I'd like to include it but not sure what I can get away with.
Thanks for your help.
I have Bolger's and I've also got a 1914 map blown up to about A1 size. The layout isn't the same but I can use it for the general position of structures.
Does anyone have any information on how Chater's Bank sidings were used?
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

They were in my day storage sidings, coal trucks maybe for the stage, brake vans of varios types etc, it was probably the access to the old round house and paint shop once.
The pic shows the buildings in the background which may have been the lodging turn house, canteen & showers.
Attachments
PASSING 52A.jpg
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

Was unaware that a 'lodging turn house' existed at 52A...

There is a facsimile letter on the back of one of Colin Walker's ECML volumes, sent to him by Bill Hoole using headed notepaper from a bona fide Newcastle hotel - whilst on a lodging turn.

Which rather raises the question: were specific lodging turn houses also provided adjacent to such places as Haymarket, York and Kings Cross?

Cheers
Robt P.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

At King's Cross there was a hostel near to St Pancras - which later became the Hampden Club, a private club - where Gateshead men used to lodge in the fifties, there may have been others. In Newcastle there was a hotel used by King's Cross men at one time on Westgate? Road near to the Central Station and in Edinburgh another B & B near Haymarket in Rosemount Road, I think, for the K/X men on the summer 'Elizabethan'. The signal boxes near to Greenesfield Depot closed in 1962, as I remember, with a replacement power box near Half Moon Lane at the east end of the depot, which itself closed C1991. The man to ask would probably be '52A' on the forum.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Yes you are right about the lodgings, I think there was also a place at Ilford. I never heard of any lodging at York. Attached photo shows the old Greensfield box with the new Gateshead box in the right background.
Attachments
65825 65812 en route Dton Ghd 2-3-63b.jpg
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

As 52A says I'm not sure how much lodging took place at York. King's Cross men off two fast freights, one leaving K/X in the early hours the other in mid afternoon used to lodge in York, certainly up until the end of steam in the case of the second train, but perhaps used a B & B. At one time K/X men lodging in Leeds sometimes used the enginemen's lodge at Farnley Junction shed .Don't know what it was like inside, but it looked grim and 'Dickensian' from the exterior.
Chaytor's Bank 52A was sometimes used to get locos not in service out of the way, in what could be a cramped depot .I remember A4 60023 waiting to go to Doncaster Works being pushed up there in autumn 1962 and - more surprising - 60519 of Haymarket C1957.
52A

Post by 52A »

Here is another one, a sorry stranger in a strange land!
Attachments
90763 Chaytors Bank.jpg
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Greenesfield with an "E".
In 52A's pic the "new" now gone signal box can be seen, it was a hard shed to bunk as the signalman had eyes like a s***house rat and was a dead shot with lumps of coal.
Behind those two locos was the off shed road, the Pacifics would stand there waiting for the way and in the meantime it gave the fireman time to pick up the headboard from against the repair shop wall where they were lined up., the triangle was just down the road, very handy for turning the loco the right direction as there was no turntable at 52A that could take a Pacific.
Happy days the 50s, down to the shed to see what was in, then down to the ship breakers yard to see what was in,lot of WW2 subs especially T class and corvettes got scrapped there, and a wander along the old quayside to see what was going on with the electrics and tankies and whatever ships were in.
Sometimes even along to the ash heap to sit on the King Eddie bridge abutment.
Attachments
DCP_6544.JPG
52A

Post by 52A »

Greensfield without the E in railway publications!
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

I know, but they are wrong, its Greene.
http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/green ... 87545.html

I was in traffic for 36 years and the correct spelling is Greenesfield, next time your round that way look at the traffic signs and the business addresses.