Driver Burgess - Kings Cross

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Sam
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Driver Burgess - Kings Cross

Post by Sam »

Hi all,

My Great Great Grandfather was Joe Burgess, an engine driver out of Kings Cross who drove Flying Scotsman amongst others.

I have various snippets and photos of his career but would be interested to know if anyone has any more info or links. I believe there may have been an article on him in the Gresley observer and didn't know whether it is possible to acquire this?

As a side note I now live in an old station on what used to be the Waveney Valley Line which at one point was part of LNER.

Thanks in advance for any info.
lincolnian
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Driver Burgess - Kings Cross

Post by lincolnian »

Hi Sam,
I doubt if I'm the first to mention this after all this time, but if you look half a dozen subjects above yours in this forum there's one entitled Driver Pibworth by notascoobie. The 11th posting in this is from 69999 in which he mentions the Gresley Observer article on Pibworth, which apparently also includes a 23-page article on Joe Burgess.
Paul M.
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

As a point of interest, there is a YouTube video of five ex steam drivers reminiscing during a question and answer session with an audience at the NRM York in 2013 during the Mallard 75 celebrations.

One of those taking part was an ex Top Shed driver called Harry Smith whose regular driver, when he was a fireman, was Joe Burgess. They were together for four years and their regular engine was 60022 Mallard. Harry has some very fine words to say about Joe who he held in the highest esteem. The clip on YouTube is worth seeing
Sam
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Sam »

Hi, I can't find the video you are talking about. Any clues on how to find it.

Do you mean Alf Smith? My Great Uncle has recently been to see him and had a lovely long chat with him about Joe.

I have also got a copy of the article from the Gresley observer and today no less have been and visited the NRM and got all nostalgic on Mallards footplate. Took my 4 year old son along and had him sit in the drivers seat, weird to think his Great Great Great Grandfather once sat there.