Ken Hedley

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Ken Hedley

Post by 52D »

A few on this site especially the NER based members will know of Ken Hedley ex LNER driver at North Blyth who has commentated on a few home made videos and also written about some of the passenger turns around the Blyth area. He always passes me some gems and also knows to ask if hes not sure of location or subject. In fact the glass negatives I posted a few weeks ago were from Ken. I learned yesterday that he had a stroke 3 weeks ago and is slowly recovering. I like Kens approach and his North East accent makes his videos for me I will try to find the Shilbottle Oxwellmains video for to play here shame its a type 3 and not on a K1. All I can say really is get well soon Ken.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Ken Hedley

Post by BlythStationLad »

Thanks for the info re Ken, a great man who has given me much insight over the years that has helped in my building of Blyth station. Just a minor detail: Ken was actually based at South Blyth, not North, although they shared the same 52F shedcode. Get well soon, Ken.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Just got an email through from Ken.
Hello to all my friends, it has been quite some time since I wrote anything due to a stroke I had in March resulting 12 weeks
in Wansbeck hospital which has no wi fi, so sending messages was impossible.
I, have made a good recovery from this illness, and apart from difficulty with walking,I am OK.
Thank you all who wished me all the best for a swift recovery and return home, which unfortunately has not taken place yet
so I have moved for the time being into.

address omitted.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

Hi Ken, glad to hear from you again. Best wishes on your continued recovery, hope to see you when you get out of hospital. Ed