Food in the 50's

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Food in the 50's

Post by Bryan »

As for Tinned Sausages and probably in lard as well.
Used to get these in Army Compo Ration packs.
Along with other similar delights as Bacon Burgers.
Mind you my favorite was the Steak + Kidney pudding other wise named "Baby's Heads" probably due to the appearance in the tin.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

My father was in North Africa then Italy with RAF Commando and he was regarded as an "obtainer." He told stories of getting stuff from the Americans including tinned whole roast chickens, packed in butter. Also sausages packed in butter and riches other units could only dream about....

Do you know there was even tinned ice cream? Me dad could never work it out, either!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

The stuff I used to like that the Amercans brought over during the war, was the powdered eggs. Add a bit of water, whisk them up, pour it the fryng pan and voila, a gourmet breakfast? I remember being quite miffed when you could get real eggs again after the war.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

The one man packs could be a bit of a risk as they did not tend to have much variety when they reached us It was quite possible to get a batch of 10 boxes all the same menu.
The main meal often needed water as it was freeze dried.
How big is the water bottle you are carrying?
Used to get small tubes of Condensed milk in the packs lovely stuff.

Other than that there was the big one the 10 man ration pack. A bit of a nuisance if it was just for you for 10 days but OK if for 5 of you for 2 days. Lots of tinned stew,tinned cheese or tinned fruit cake.

Anyone remember AZTEC bars?
Used to get them in the ration packs 3 years after they were withdrawn from the shops.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The story of powdered eggs reminds me of an old sailor's tale. He was a deckhand on a ship carrying powdered eggs, powdered milk, sugar and flour and thought that if the ship was torpedoed, there'd be a giant omelette on the sea's surface.

Things like this kept him going.

Oh, and the thought on a petrol tanker of knowing where the sausages were, so that when the worst happened, they could have a barbecue!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hiya everyman
I cannot remember powdered eggs, so when were they about? My grandfather always kept hens when I was small, so we always had fresh eggs. I always looked for a white egg as I always had brown ones, but other youngsters looked for brown eggs.
I remember a farmer friend of my father supplying us with goose eggs, they were great an omelette in themselves. I haven't had a goose egg for ages. There was a man mountain of a farmer who used to drink in a local pub, and he'd often give me a goose egg when they were laying.
Earlswood Nob
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I remember powdered eggs from my childhood late in the war and a bit beyond. I can't pin it down any further than that, but fresh eggs would have become available pretty quickly after the end of the war, albeit via Ration Books which I think were finally withdrawn around 1950.

Oh, while I'm here, those "duo cans" of curry that I mentioned a few posts back were made by Harvey's (long gone, no doubt) and were around in the late 60's and early 70's.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hello everyone on a snowy morning
Thanks giner, I was born just after the war, so I'm a "Boomer". I can remember rationing of sweets etc, and my young sister had a ration book (she's 60 now). My late mother said coal was rationed until c1955, but we were lucky because the coalman was a relative, so we always got extra.
Earlswood Nob
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
I still love tins of corned beef. Before I retired, I often used to make corned beef sandwiches for work breaks. When I had corned beef sandwiches, I used to make an extra one as I liked it so much.
I'm tempted to nip down the shop and get some French bread and a tin of corned beef.
Earlswood Nob
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

:lol: Break out the Branston, earlswood, I'll be round in a bit!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Earlswood!

Get another baguette and tin o' Bully. I'm on my way!
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

And that's how the Great Corned Beef Shortage of 2013 began...

Even some of us youngsters like it too. As well as sandwiches, I do corned beef hash now and then, simple and tasty. (Where's the lip-licking smilie gone?)