Greetings from Downunder

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

K160
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Greetings from Downunder

Post by K160 »

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum. I thought I'd introduce myself.

My interest in LNER dates back to before I even knew what the letters stood for. It was a once in a lifetime meeting with the Flying Scotsman when it was in Australia in 1989 the sparked an interest in the engine (might I add I was only a 3 year old at that time). When I got a bit older I wanted to know more about the engine and the meaning of the letters that adorned the tender sides. More time passed and I got even more interested about other classes of engine such as the A4s. The rest is history. :P

While LNER is not my main prototype nor model railway subject interest (that belonging to the Victorian Railways here in Australia) it has led me to collect a couple of LNER outline models which consist of Flying Scotsman and Mallard plus a set of 6 older Hornby teak coaches:

I have plans to get a couple more examples which may include the recently disclosed Hornby 4491 Commonwealth Of Australia A4-class next year. There may even be room for a Tornado model in there too. :shock:
Regards
Matthew Davis
Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Greetings from Downunder

Post by Steve05 »

Hi Matthew,

I welcome you to the Forum.

There is a lot to learn from the LNER aficionados on the Forum, so I’m somewhat addicted. :)

I saw the Scotsman much in its visits to Sydney but the most memorable being the day when my electric train service was held up inexplicably near Strathfield station. Luck has it I was standing near the door with the window slots open (older double decker version) when I heard this strange noise becoming more pronounced as it approached our train from the opposite direction. I thought to myself, “Just what is that… that’s not like anything I’ve heard before from a NSW steam loco?” It was the Flying Scotsman and it ended up stopping opposite my window. I had a great view of the front and its cylinders and she was absolutely immaculate. And the topping on the cake was that while our train remained stopped, she whistled and chuffed off….wow. I’m certainly glad I left the car home that day I’ll tell you. I even appreciated the delay, I thank you State Rail! :lol:

If you had heard the Gresley beat in Victoria, you would be forgiven in believing it was your attractive (not the streamlined version) and powerful 3 cylinder S class Pacific.

Have fun mate.

Regards
Steve
Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Coronach »

Good to hear you boys down under have such an affection for LNER types. Even if you don't hold so much affection for anything with the 'Scotsman' moniker after we stuff you on the rugby field next June! :wink:

There's no doubt though that the Doncaster tradition of three cylinders has created a very distinctive sound though; so much so that David Bowie used a recording of an unidentified ex-LNER type in the intro to the title track on his 'Station-to Station' album in 1976!

One thing about three-cylinder locos is that they always sound like they're going faster than they actually are. It never sounds better than it does with the V2 class.
The link below gives a taster, but it's nowt compared to the effects you hear on Peter Handford's Waverley Route recordings of 1961!

http://www.steamsounds.org.uk/sixties.html

Happy Christmas, guys!

Dave.
"If they say it's good, we know it's bad; if they say it's bad, we know it's good." - Jimmy Reid.
Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Steve05 »

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the link, it was very interesting. :)

The V2 sound being close to what I believed I heard that day and at speed months later at Engadine & Heathcote. The Gresley beat was certainly more interesting a symphony than the two cylinder NSWGR 3801 Pacific it was partnered with. 8)

As for the Rugby…let’s see mate! :lol:

Regards

Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Welcome to the forum K160, ( got to be some Victorian loco, 2-8-0 ?)

Flying Scotsman and three cylinder locos have a very distinctive sound, I would loved to have heard 4472 working hard through the Adelaide hills, or the Blue Mountains for that matter. :P

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

K160, we all learn daily on this 'ere forum and not just about things LNER. Welcome!!! :D
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
K160
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by K160 »

manna wrote:Welcome to the forum K160, ( got to be some Victorian loco, 2-8-0 ?)
Correct, here it is on a special at the Victorian Goldfields Railway (Maldon-Castlemaine) in 2008, leading 2 J-class 2-8-0s:

There has been plenty of videos produced of 4472's Australian visit, most capturing the loco hard at work on the grades in Victoria and NSW. The beat is distinctive (in fact older loco drivers recall it being the same as the famous S-class 4-6-2 that headed the Spirit Of Progress, quite appropriate seeing as they both shared the same 3-cylinder valve gear arrangement).

Anyway thanks for the welcome guys. Looking forward to taking a look around. 8)
Regards
Matthew Davis