Peter Marshall

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Peter Marshall

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

It is with much regret that I inform you that Peter Marshall the joint proprietor of The Wagon and Carriage Works has passed away.Peter was a total gentleman with a good sense of humour and a very pleasant personality. He will be greatly missed by his family and friends. R.I.P.

Further to the sad news of Peter's passing,his Widow has posted a letter on the website of The Wagon and Carriage Works.
A paragraph from this letter is posted below:-

The funeral will be held on November 14th at 11.00am at St Andrews Church, Heckington, Lincolnshire, NG34 9RF and anyone who wishes to attend will be welcome.

Peter's death was totally unexpected and is therefore a massive shock to Vanessa and her family and friends.
Kindest Regards,Derek.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Peter Marshall

Post by Horsetan »

Very sorry to hear this. I used to see Pete fairly regularly when he ran Tracks / The Train Trading Post at Sawbridgeworth in Herts. He ran the show with Ray Mansfield and even back then I perceived a certain degree of uneasiness between them, which I found intriguing. Never dared ask, though!

I had a fair number of cheap 4mm secondhand kits from Pete, including a Malcolm Mitchell "Mogul" and tender, which I still have.

His Wagon & Carriage Works etched kit range was already going strong in the early 1990s at Sawbridgeworth, and was well-placed to benefit from the boom in 7mm modelling. He even expanded into Gauge One.

Eventually Tracks closed down, ending one source of bargains, but I'll always remember Pete as an upright enterprising retailer.

His passing reminds me that we are all mortal. He will be missed.

Thank you, Pete, for the time you gave so generously.