Quiz time

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Quiz time

Post by Mickey »

Sorry to hi-jack this topic post everyone.

I agree John i would also like to see some more cab ride video/dvds from the late 1960s & early 1970s my favourite era on B.R.

I would especially like to see a cab ride from Kings Cross to Leeds circa 1968-70 if one ever surfaced?.

Also as previously posted a cab ride from either Leeds or Nottingham up the Midland main line into st Pancras circa 1968-71.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Yes, apologies for going O/T.

Please continue the quiz questions, I do find them fascinating to try and solve.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

Back to the Moon - could it be the Armagh rail disaster of 1889 where the fitting of an automatic vacuum brake would have prevented loss of life http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armagh_rail_disaster? Richard Moon as Chairman of the LNWR opposed them on cost grounds - but I don't see the connection between the two - did the LNWR partly own the GNR of Ireland?

Peter
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

As my first post on this forum I'll suggest that the accident in question was the derailment of the Folkestone Boat Train at Beult Vidauct near Staplehurst on 9 June 1865. The timings for this train were dependent upon the state of the tide at Folkestone.

At the time of the accident - about 3.15 p.m. - the track had been removed for the purpose of renewing the timber baulks on the viaduct on which the track was carried. This was due to the incorrect belief on the part of the foreman of the gang carrying out the work that the Boat Train was not due for another two hours at the time the accident took place.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Well done, John. You've got it. Not a bad debut here.

I don't know whether 61070's post helped you, by correctly realising that tides were significant, though not as directly as he was thinking.

No need for further clues concerning the train's most famous passenger, who, though physically unhurt, probably had PTSD as a result and died five years later to the day.

The accident happened on 9 June 1865 and is usually referred to as Staplehurst, if anyone wants to look it up.

Kudu
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

A film is being made documenting that passenger's life, and the Staplehurst crash is depicted, filmed at the Bluebell;

http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.u ... ER.BLOCK80

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extension3363/7578079794/
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

A LNWR signal box next to the GNR main line where was it?.
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Between Helpston & Uffington to the North of Peterborough.Although the Helpston Box was a LMS design moved to the Nene Valley Railway in about 2007.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

60129 GUY MANNERING wrote:Between Helpston & Uffington to the North of Peterborough.Although the Helpston Box was a LMS design moved to the Nene Valley Railway in about 2007.
That wasn't the s/box that i was thinking of.

The LNWR s/box that i was thinking of stood right beside the GNR/LNER main line with A3s & A4s probably rattling the box windows as they passed by outside on expresses!!.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Peterborough near the Nene Bridge?
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:
60129 GUY MANNERING wrote:Between Helpston & Uffington to the North of Peterborough.Although the Helpston Box was a LMS design moved to the Nene Valley Railway in about 2007.
That wasn't the s/box that i was thinking of.

The LNWR s/box that i was thinking of stood right beside the GNR/LNER main line with A3s & A4s probably rattling the box windows as they passed by outside on expresses!!.
Was Walton ('Midland') an LNW-style structure Micky? : That must've had the GN Down Main fairly close.
Alternatively, were there separate boxes at Maxey, just north of Helpston, though if that's it, the GN track nearest to it would've been the Down Slow, so less chance of window-rattling by trains on that road, and the Down Main/Fast would've been that bit further away.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

LNW Sandy?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

ten ten wrote:LNW Sandy?
Thats the one ten ten Sandy LNWR.

Stevie was you referring to Walton just north of Peterborough before Helpston because if you are that was a GNR box that stood on the Up side of the main line and Maxey crossing box was also a GN box (from hazy memory?) that was very low down to rail level and also stood on the Up side of the main line before you got to Lolham s/box going Down road.

STAFFORDA4 yes the LNWR did have a branch that reached Peterborough at onetime coming in from the west.

60129 GUY MANNERING nice try but i was thinking of Sandy LNWR.

I visited Sandy station one Sunday back in 1970 and 'hung around' the station all day that was the era when you could do that sort of thing and nobody bothered you anyway while at Sandy the old Sandy LNWR s/box was still standing at the end of the Up GN platform (it was still only 2 roads through the station at that time) with the box door left open although obviously it was redundant but a look inside revealled a LNWR Webb 'stirrup lever frame' a empty block shelf and the floor littered with old train register books and detonators laying around on the box floor!!.

Just an aside i caught a train at around 08:35hrs from WGC (hauled by a Brush type 2 hauling a rake of B.R.Mk1s) that arrived at Sandy station around 09:45hrs and then i hung around Sandy station until about 18:00hrs that evening when only the 'second stopping train' of the day going Up road back towards Hitchin and WGC arrived at the station. The passenger train service on a Sunday was pretty sparse back in 1970 the first train going Up road on a Sunday morning was a x2 car Cravens unit apparently around 09:00hrs from Huntingdon going as far as Hitchin then there was a LARGE GAP of 8hrs before the next stopping train going as far as Hitchin another x2 car Cravens unit arrived at around 18:00hrs?.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

An easy one for some, a muti aspect colour light signal that was only passed at either double yellow or green by passenger trains and NOT passed at a single yellow by them where was this signal to be found?.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:An easy one for some, a muti aspect colour light signal that was only passed at either double yellow or green by passenger trains and NOT passed at a single yellow by them where was this signal to be found?.
Taking your question literally Micky, over time there would've been a lot of them dotted about along the main line at one time or another, but I think I know what/where you really mean, and I won't give that answer (too easy when you have the right local knowledge) so as to allow others to truly put thinking caps on.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \