Aberbeeg

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Aberbeeg

Post by 52D »

Been working on the site of Aberbeeg shed today, can anyone give me a potted History of its duties?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Aberbeeg

Post by JASd17 »

Aberbeeg was the shed which provided locos for the Ebbw Vale and Ebbw Fach valleys and the considerable mining and iron and steel making industries therein. The shed was not far from the confluence of the two rivers. There were no depots on the GWR lines further up these valleys, at Ebbw Vale or Brynmawr.

In 1947 there were a number of 2-8-0Ts at the shed for longer distance coal traffic, down Ebbw Vale to Newport and Severn Tunnel Junction. There were only a few 0-6-2Ts allocated through the 1950s, quite unusual for the South Wales valleys. There was a handful of 2-6-2Ts for passenger workings. The largest allocation at the shed was 0-6-0PTs, 26 out of a total allocation of 37, in 1947, mostly 5700 Class. These would have worked the numerous colliery and other sidings, together with short distance trip workings.

The shed closed in 1964.

John
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thank you John that sums it up quite nicely The information you give corresponds to a large colour picture hanging in the companies reception area, im no good at recognising GWR locos apart from the fact that some are panniers and others are not. Incidentally the steelwork columns in one of the buildings were salvaged from the shed.
Cheers again, George52D.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

Sad that Aberbeeg shed was demolished - it survived for over 20 years with a new life housing a foundry. The shed at Abercynon (similar distance up the valley further west was still in subsequent use last year.
Am I the only reactionary who is irritated that very well constructed brick industrial buildings are demolished and replaced on the same spot by steel framed cladding buildings of similar size but with a very short life expectancy?
The line to Ebbw Vale steelworks was unusual for a Welsh valley line in that there were heavy trains UP the valley; in steams days they were worked by 72xx or 9Fs front and rear,
I think this is Aberbeeg *(I had a brake van pass!). All that traffic to the steelworks, now razed and desolate. Shows the curvature common on the Valley lines. And there's a Rugby pitch...
Attachments
Ebbw Vale.jpg