Class 379 to Hertford East

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Class 379 to Hertford East

Post by Mr Bunt »

Severe operating chaos at Liverpool Street caused by a train failure on Saturday 4 July 2015 led to this unusual working of a Class 379 Stansted Express unit on the 17:12 Liverpool Street to Hertford East. Seen here departing from Ware.

This is only the second occasion I can recall seeing a 379 on the Hertford branch.
Attachments
DSCF3867.JPG
Mickey

Re: Class 379 to Hertford East

Post by Mickey »

What have they gone and done to Ware station wheres the old brick station buildings gone with roof awnings from G.E.R. days?.

Looks like they've demolished it and replaced it with a 'bus shelter' typical.

Ware station doesn't look the same since the level crossing s/box closed in 2002 then demolished around 2008/09?.

Mickey
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:What have they gone and done to Ware station wheres the old brick station buildings gone with roof awnings from G.E.R. days?.

Looks like they've demolished it and replaced it with a 'bus shelter' typical.

Ware station doesn't look the same since the level crossing s/box closed in 2002 then demolished around 2008/09?.

Mickey

Fear not! In the background to the left of the photo (about four cars back in the unit) you can see some white dogtooth awning. That's where the original 1843 station building still is, and will remain since it's Grade II listed.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Mr Bunt wrote:Fear not! In the background to the left of the photo (about four cars back in the unit) you can see some white dogtooth awning. That's where the original 1843 station building still is, and will remain since it's Grade II listed.
Funny how everything seems a lot BIGGER when your a kid??.

I use to like Ware s/box even though it was a 'modern design' dating from about 1959 i believe?.

A brick built box with smoked glass windows a flat roof with a huge awning around the roof in a modern style like Hackney Downs box.

I believe the box contained a 20 lever frame and worked TCB (Track Circuit Block) with Hertford East box one way and st Margarets box the other way with the main feature at Ware being the single line (through Ware station) and the road level crossing with barriers outside the box.

Hertford East was a nice little job as well circa 1970.

Mickey
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

This more run of the mill photo of Ware may help to calm you down Mickey. 317670 running into the station on 24 September 2014 with the 13:12 from Liverpool Street to Hertford East, showing part of the original 1843 building on the left.

Previous attempts to interfere with Ware Station (by replacing the original building with a steel and glass box like Rye House and Cheshunt got in the 1970s) were vigorously and successfully opposed by the Ware Society. Any further attempts are going to meet the same response I'm sure.
Attachments
DSCF3558.JPG
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Mr Bunt wrote:This more run of the mill photo of Ware may help to calm you down Mickey.
I can rest easy now Mr.Bunt(ingford) although pity about the train though but if can arrange a old blue B.R.(ER) class 308 EMU instead of that thing that would be a lot more pleasing to the old mince pies. :wink:

Mickey
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

Blue plaque.jpg
For anyone interested, this is one of the reasons why Ware Station is safe from Network Rail and its desire to turn railway stations into shopping arcades with a few bus shelters nearby to accommodate passengers :lol: The Town Council simply wouldn't allow it :D