Present Transpennine Routes

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Present Transpennine Routes

Post by drmditch »

Next week I'm going from Durham to Liverpool by rail (well I hope it's less stressful than driving - even though I like going over the A66 and via Kirkby Stephen).

I've just been trying to work out which companies lines the existing Transpennine franchise route traverses.
As far as I can:-
NER to Leeds (NER/GNE - YNM - L&S ???)
LNWR to Stalybridge
GCR to Manchester (and a part of the LNW)
CLC to Liverpool.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me what to watch out for. (I should have a window seat)

Two maps which I found helpful are:-
..for 'proper railways'...
and
.... for what we have now...
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Present Transpennine Routes

Post by richard »

Yes the Y&NM stretch includes some of the Leeds & Selby. That's probably the bit I know the best, but much of it is 'blink&you miss it'. There's an over-bridge and station build at Garforth that date back to the days of the Aberford Railway (nice to see it on that map!). Most of the evidence that the Aberford Railway existed is seen on foot and invisible from the mainline.

At Crossgates, the existing station and road bridge date back at least the late nineteenth century. Edwardian postcards look remarkably similar although the bridge parapet has been built up, and iirc there might have been a glass cover on the platforms (now long gone). The cutting (and overbridge) for the Leeds-Wetherby line comes in from the north (right) just before Crossgates station. Occasionally there's talk of rebuilding - it would be great for commuters from Wetherby and intervening villages, but the track bed has been built on in a number of places.

You'll also pass Neville Hill, but I don't know how visible or interesting it is these days?

Also the Marsh Lane Cutting (was once a tunnel) on the approaches to Leeds Station is much more impressive in old steam era photos, than it is when you're in a modern dmu...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

You could add Huddersfield station as L and Y
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

At Ravensthorpe (3 - 4 min. after Dewsbury) you join the Calder Valley Line (ex L & Y) and after Mirfield - which used to have a locomotive depot and large station - turn off to Huddersfield. In the other direction there is a fly-under to the fast line. In Huddersfield there is a wonderful LNWR/L&Y warehouse (right-hand side, Manchester direction) which used to have a wagon hoist to the first floor. Immediately after leaving the station, the old L&Y line to Penistone branches off to the left - I think you can see the viaduct, but you don't have much time to do it. Look also at the interesting stonework on the right embankment. Also to the right after Marsden is the Hebble&Calder canal basin, usually full of barges (there is a museum there). Then comes the notorious Standedge tunnel (in the neighbouring canal tunnel, bargemen lay on their backs and pushed the boat along with their feet).
After Stalybridge look for the first 5000 V masts - I think for some reason they start halfway along the viaduct also though it was not LNER territory. Then its pure GCR nostalgia - Guide Bridge, Gorton etc. somewhere to the left there is a GCR signal box. Siemens also has its Transpennine depot on the right a couple of miles before Manchester.

Peter
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Many thanks Richard and Peter. I shall have to print out your text as a guide!
I've made the journey several times as far as Leeds - but after that it's strange territory for me!
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

PGBerrie wrote: Also to the right after Marsden is the Hebble&Calder canal basin, usually full of barges (there is a museum there). Then comes the notorious Standedge tunnel (in the neighbouring canal tunnel, bargemen lay on their backs and pushed the boat along with their feet).
Peter
The canal basin at Marsden and Standedge tunnel is part of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. The Calder & Hebble Navigation took a different route.

Don't some of the Transpennine services between Newcastle and Liverpool use the original Liverpool & Manchester route now, via Victoria, not Piccadilly?

John
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

There appears to be an early morning train from Liverpool Lime St. to Newcastle and an evening train from Newcastle to Liverpool Lime St operated by First Transpennine. Otherwise a roughly hourly service from Leeds to Manchester Victoria operated by Northern.

Back in my trainspotting days one of the few "namers" on the Calder Valley line was the "Ten-past Eighter" (time at Horbury Bridge) which I believe was also the Newcastle (or at least York) to Liverpool Lime Street evening train. It went from Leeds via Normanton and Wakefield. It was always pulled by Mars, Glorious, Dauntless or the unnamed Patriot 45517.

The Woodhead Electrification was 1500 VDC, not 5000 V as I said. There is plaque commemorating the opening of the new Woodhead tunnel on the wall of Platform 1 at Manchester Piccadilly.

Peter
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

PGBerrie wrote:There appears to be an early morning train from Liverpool Lime St. to Newcastle and an evening train from Newcastle to Liverpool Lime St operated by First Transpennine. Otherwise a roughly hourly service from Leeds to Manchester Victoria operated by Northern.

Peter
drmditch,

I would stick to the timetables if I were in your position.

One thing I can say is that the cutting from Edge Hill into Liverpool Lime Street is an interesting part of the journey, which ever way you are approaching Liverpool. It was a favourite haunt of Eric Treacy.

John
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Thank you everybody for replying, and Transpennine Express for interesting and comfortable railway journeys both ways.
Yes, the Newcastle/Liverpool Lime St trains I was on do use Manchester Victoria, and the L&M route. I could recognise one or two stations like Rainhill !

It would of course have been nice to a train of maroon stock with a Z as far as Leeds, but the journey might have taken longer.
It might have been a bit quieter than the DMU though.

Edge Hill cuttings and tunnels were awe inspiring.
The Goods Warehouse at Huddersfield, with most of the structure of the wagon lift surviving was very impressive.
The route (LNWR?) through Standedge was splendid, especially in the evening light on the return.

The L&M though, was very smooth and and level.
Well done George!

I wonder how much of the existing structure/s date/s back to the 1830s?
I must check my books on the L&M, because I couldn't recognise Chat Moss - although I suspect it might have become a housing development!