Trainspotting on the BBC

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Trainspotting on the BBC

Post by Mickey »

Forget Peter Snow they should give Ron White of Colour Rail photographs and a lifelong and knowledgeable railway enthusiast the job. Ron's been cropping up on many video & dvd railway programmes for over 20 years that I know of and only this afternoon I was watching him talking knowledgeably with his usual trademark 'humorous twist' on the subject of Bulleid pacifics and Mr.O.V.S.Bulleid himself, excellent stuff.

Mickey
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Mickey,

Ron White is no longer part of Colour Rail. But, I agree, with his G&S performance pedigree, Ron has a gift for getting a message across effortlessly. Very amusing company too.

John
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yes in my opinion Ron's definitely a bit of a 'undiscovered star' maybe he should be more widely known amongst the public but on the other hand maybe he should'nt be who knows?. Whenever Ron crops up on a railway video or dvd you know your in for some expert and knowledgeable information plus as a long serving railwayman myself it's noticeable that Ron has a easy going 'old time railwayman's humorous way about him' which is something that has sadly disappeared from the modern day railway scene. Ron along with the late O.S.Nock the railway author who died back in 1994 probably has more railway knowledge and expertise in his little finger than most railway industry insider's put together these days anyway I better not say much more about that lol ha ha ha ...

By the way the dvd that I referred to previously that I was watching was called Bulleids In Retrospect by Transport Video Publishing and features Ron White appearing several times throughout this dvd imparting his own expert knowledge about those great southern pacific locomotives, I believe this dvd may have been made about 10 years ago so it's not a recent dvd featuring Ron.

Mickey
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Trainspotting on the BBC / Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mr Bunt »

StevieG wrote:..... Whereas "Full Steam Ahead" (Part 2 of 6, this coming Thursday, 20:00-21:00 BBC2) is a very different kettle of fish : With the historical presenting team of three who did the other Victorian / Edwardian 'life'/history programmes (farming etc.) : The coming and consequences of railways; social, trade/business, as well as technological.
I have just got round to watching the first instalment of "Full Steam Ahead" and must say I was impressed. The fact that they didn't mention that madman who thought rails should be 7' 0¼" apart at all helped at lot though :D