One of the last havens of working steam will be ceasing steam operations later this year

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

One of the last havens of working steam will be ceasing steam operations later this year

Post by Nova »

The opencast mine at Sandaoling is the last of the great industrial steam locations in China, indeed the world, and is famous for rostering an entire fleet of JS-class steam locomotives in the 21st century. the current understanding is that it will close in May 2017 and road vehicles will be used to take out the remaining coal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmFbhnynnks

This is a crying shame as it was my intention to see the JS class in action before they ceased operations, but it's looking like I won't get that chance :(
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: One of the last havens of working steam will be ceasing steam operations later this year

Post by 52H »

Hi all
What a great video, they certainly work those locos hard. Sad to think it will all be gone.

52H
drmditch

Re: One of the last havens of working steam will be ceasing steam operations later this year

Post by drmditch »

Thank you. That is certainly interesting, although I think I would rather be watching the video than working there!
I think I prefer working with my little locomotives that don't burn very much coal at all, and where some at least of the line-side is a pleasant green!

I do wonder though what County Durham really looked like circa 1923!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I have seen some dvd film footage of those Chinese locos hauling those trains and pretty impressive they look when throwing out TONS of exhaust smoke high into the sky when working hard up a gradient.

It goes without saying that those locos are fitted with mechanical stokers.

Also Turkey had some interesting steam worked lines into the early 1980s those USA 2-10-0 'Skyliners' looked good plus they had some Stanier 8Fs as well.

Mickey
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

Mickey wrote:
Also Turkey had some interesting steam worked lines into the early 1980s those USA 2-10-0 'Skyliners' looked good plus they had some Stanier 8Fs as well.

Mickey
i believe the Tuzla area (Bosnia & Herzegovina) was still using some German built "Kreigslok" 2-10-0s as of 2016, as well as some industrial narrow gauge lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbmuAJte1lQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VIZtLZRD5c

if I can find proof they are working today I may plan a trip
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947