Steam hauled mainline frieght trains, something you'll never see in the UK

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Steam hauled mainline frieght trains, something you'll never see in the UK

Post by Nova »

But you will see in the US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d550S68EpBw

In fairness, to my understanding, more often than not it's simply empty stock workings from one yard to another and the RR operator decides to let a steam engine take it. however they also seem to be Chartered freight trains purely for photographic purposes (which is cool nonetheless).

still, it's nice to imagine one of the preserved steam locomotives, let's say a black Five or one of the mainline 8Fs, taking a train of Coal or Ore wagons
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Mickey

Re: Steam hauled mainline frieght trains, something you'll never see in the UK

Post by Mickey »

Yes I have been watching several German steam dvds lately that were filmed in the 1990s and apparently at that time it was 'the norm' over there for German Railways to turn over a weekend for steam hauled passenger & freight workings although I couldn't imagine Network Rail allowing a BR 9F hauling a heavy freight along the ECML these days somehow?.

Mickey
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

Mickey wrote: I couldn't imagine Network Rail allowing a BR 9F hauling a heavy freight along the ECML these days somehow?.
they won't even allow 9Fs on the mainline because of the center driver posing a risk for detailment
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Nova wrote:
Mickey wrote: I couldn't imagine Network Rail allowing a BR 9F hauling a heavy freight along the ECML these days somehow?.
they won't even allow 9Fs on the mainline because of the center driver posing a risk for detailment
It makes me laugh all this 'over cautious' approach to life these days although I don't believe in taking silly risks though.

Mickey
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Funny thing is, I've never heard of a 9f derailing through a flangeless centre wheel, it's only there to carry weight, I suppose a flanged centre wheel could be fitted.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

The flangeless centre driving wheels on the 9Fs also allowed the locos to negotiate tighter curved track and points that was usually found in sidings, yards & loco sheds.

Mickey
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

!

My love for 9Fs is well known on here so guess who was not far away from the Severn Valley this weekend? Interestingly, 92214 had marks on the outside of the flangeless wheel's tyres indicating that they may have slipped off the rails. However, as the LNWR knew from experience with the 8 coupled tanks in South Wales, when their flangeless wheels dropped off the railhead, they soon retailed themselves....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!