NRM at York possibly to close?

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

NRM at York possibly to close?

Post by Mickey »

As reported on BBC radio 4s 1:pm news today (04/06/13) due to a lack of government funding one of three northern museums in England will have to close due to a lack of government funding but a yet it hasn't been decided on which one of the three museums will be closed?.

The three museums include the NRM at York, a museum in Bradford and a museum in Manchester but it was stressed that no decision has yet been made on which museum will be closed?. It was also stressed in the interview that this wasn't a bluff if there is no extra money forthcoming from the government then one of the three museums WILL DEFINITELY CLOSE.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NRM at York possibly to close?

Post by richard »

Sounds like a classic ministerial bluff to me.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

Ministerial spending review time again, unfortunately. We will be getting a lot of these type of stories between now and the end of the month.
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

Treasury is seeking 10% cuts in all spending departments - so yes lots of stories like this on the way
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

...... See "POSSIBLE CLOSURE OF NRM" thread of 23:14 tonight in the LNER News forum -
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8798
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

To clarify my remark about a "classic ministerial bluff". This involves something unpopular (e.g. an admission charge), but to make it look palatable, you announce something quite draconian. The minister then looks reasonable and open to compromise when he/she back-peddles to what was the original plan all along.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Save even more money, get rid of all the ministers :twisted:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I must admit, if one has to go, then I'd happily see the Bradford media museum go as I've been dragged there on a school trip once and have never even considered going to either the town or the museum again.

In logistical terms, the media museum is the easiest one to dispose of - pretty much everything in it would barely take up a corner of a warehouse once stacked. I'd like to see where they'd put that Shackleton and the garratt if MOSI shuts, or 85 - 90% of the national collection if the NRM shuts!
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

Blackout60800 wrote:I must admit, if one has to go, then I'd happily see the Bradford media museum go as I've been dragged there on a school trip once and have never even considered going to either the town or the museum again.

In logistical terms, the media museum is the easiest one to dispose of - pretty much everything in it would barely take up a corner of a warehouse once stacked. I'd like to see where they'd put that Shackleton and the garratt if MOSI shuts, or 85 - 90% of the national collection if the NRM shuts!
Insider gossip apparently rates MOSI in Manchester as the most likely to go if closures are "essential", but many people reckon re-introduction of admission charges is more likely.
Iron Duke
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Iron Duke »

What did Tutankhaman's wife say to him just before he died?
Answer:- Don't go making an exhibition of yourself

Seriously, went on a school trip during, I think 1964, to the British Museum
King Tut (or associated parts) was a main feature at the time.
Not sure if there was, or now is an entrance fee?

If the NRM do have to introduce a charge, how long will it be before the school trip turnover decreases due to costs etc. If only a small percentage of the school age visitors become interested in railways as a result of their visit it all goes to keep our railway heritage alive.

Would the powers that be even consider closing the British Museum or Imperial War Museum (not sure on charges at these two places) One time the National Railway Collection was I think housed in London?

I have also heard of a possible NRM satellite centre being considered at Loughborough.
Heritage railways have to survive on donations & entrance fees, but imagine if double track goes ahead there, (Nottingham - Leicester) an interesting service.
Did locomotive power from all regions run over this section during its life time?

Id
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Blackout60800 wrote:I must admit, if one has to go, then I'd happily see the Bradford media museum go as I've been dragged there on a school trip once and have never even considered going to either the town or the museum again.

Nice one Blacker's. :wink:

How can you compare 40 steam locomotives that are part of the 'national collection' and vast railway archives and study facilities with the Bradford media museum?. No contest folks. :wink:
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

Ah, "But Meejah Studies is a GCSE subject you see. Railway Studies isn't" they'll be whining up in Bradford as they fight to save their jobs :-D
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I assume the "Media Museum" is a new name for the Museum of Photography and Moving Image (I think that was the full title). I never went, but I thought it was meant to be quite something when it opened in the 1980s?

Having never been, I've no idea what other stuff they have, but they do have all of Ray Harryhausen's stuff - that is worth saving!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

"Media". An expression that irritates me as much as train station. Media is the plural of medium. Doesn't make much sense without an adjective. The irony is that I hear broadcasters using media in a singular sense but then go on to talk about stadiums. And not to mention Pendolinos and paninis....... and yes, I should get out more.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »