Consett Ironworks Kitson A No 5 of 1881 0-6-0T back in steam

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Consett Ironworks Kitson A No 5 of 1881 0-6-0T back in steam

Post by Rlangham »

Nearly a month since I took these but been busy to put it mildly - Easter saw the wonderful Consett Ironworks A No 5, built by Kitson in 1881, back in steam. Despite appearances it is actually a side tank, not a pannier tank. I can highly recommend a visit to the North Tyneside Steam Railway to have a ride behind this unique locomotive, I think the only 'long boiler' design in steam, at least in the UK? The length of the line is just under two miles, which I didn't realise, and was surprised at

One of those rare locomotives that even looks good from the rear

At Percy Main

'Gronk' at Middle Engine Lane

Returning to Middle Engine Lane

End of the day

Other exhibits in the Stephenson Railway Museum

Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Consett Ironworks Kitson A No 5 of 1881 0-6-0T back in s

Post by auldreekie »

ABSOLUTELY luvverly.

I didn't even know restoration of this machine was in progress.

auldreekie
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Consett Ironworks Kitson A No 5 of 1881 0-6-0T back in s

Post by ArthurK »

Nice to see the CIC Kitson in steam again. I lived at Swalwell less than a mile from the line from Derwenthaugh to the coke ovens at Winlaton Mill. I saw these locos at work many, many times. My only regret is that I never photographed them. Perhaps they were just too commonplace.

One thing that puzzles me is the choice of livery on the preserved no. 5. Unless my memory is completely wrong the ones at Derwenthaugh were always green livery similar to the NER green with black/white lining.

The only photos that I have are of this one at Marley Hill and numbered 41. Is this now the preserved No.5?
590 NCB 41 Marley Hill Aug 1974.jpg
ArthurK