Gauge 1 Steam

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Gauge 1 Steam

Post by PGBerrie »

A couple of weeks ago, I was invited down to Witterswil, near Basel for a Monday afternoon Gauge 1 steaming session. Most of the engines on view were Aster, with a fair selection of LMS locos. The picture below is of Lady of the Lake, a LNWR Problem Class locomotive, which is owned by my friend David. It was built by Graham Dixon and had its first steaming after being overhauled by the maker. It steamed for a good 1/2 hour, pulling 6 six-wheelers.
Lady of the Lake
Lady of the Lake
I was surprised how fast and easy it ran and even if it was not the real thing, you could really imagine it pounding along in the Race to the North.
Peter
PGBerrie

Re: Gauge 1 Steam

Post by PGBerrie »

Here's another Graham Dixon model, this time a J72. I'm looking forward to seeing it steaming in spring.
WP_20161109_002.jpg
Peter
PGBerrie

Re: Gauge 1 Steam

Post by PGBerrie »

This weekend saw the Witterswil Bahndammfest (Embankment Festival), when anyone can bring along a Gauge 1 loco and steam it. I went today. The only British loco on the tracks was Dutchess of Sutherland. If I had gone yesterday I could have seen these:
Coronation Stock.jpg
a nine coach Coronation set with observation car pulled by an A4 (Mallard?).

C'est la vie!

Peter