Tornado on S & C

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

harvester
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Tornado on S & C

Post by harvester »

I notice Tornado will be working two return trips each day between Appleby and Skipton on 14th 15th and 16th this week , I was just wondering where the engine will be turned. At southern end running forward some distance and turning on the Shipley triangle may be possible .
Mickey

Re: Tornado on S & C

Post by Mickey »

I assume this is the train that has been reported on BBC radio 4 this morning at 6:30am saying that this is the first timetabled advertised revenue operated steam train service on Britain's railways since August 1968 and the end of steam on B.R.?. There will be 12 steam runs a day (6 in either direction) and tickets will cost the same as the normal diesel service along the route. Apparently this steam working is to celebrate the re-opening of the S&C after it was closed for a year after a landslip?.

While watching a dvd on German steam last night it was implied during the commentary that it was fairly normal for revenue steam operated services to takeover from diesel services at certain times of the year in Germany in part to attract railway enthusiast's and tourist's along the steam trains route.

Mickey
harvester
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by harvester »

TV provided the answer......working tender first going south to Skipton.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Personally I would have preferred to have seen a B.R. era 'grimy Black 5' working those services between Skipton & Appleby over the next few days BUT a polished up replica Peppercorn A1 pacific will do just fine folks but leaving aside my personal opinion hopefully the concept of a steam loco occasionally taking over a regular passenger diagram somewhere around the country is a pretty exciting idea!!.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-38957943

Mickey
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents.

There was a segment on todays TV news..............I missed it :x

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
steamingyorkshire
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by steamingyorkshire »

LNER A1 No.60163 'Tornado' is seen hauling the first steam hauled service trains over the Settle & Carlisle Railway on the 14th & 15th February 2017.

Video Available Here