Following on from "Train station", now it's ....

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Following on from "Train station", now it's ....

Post by StevieG »

I feel sure that it was somewhere within these forums that a year or three ago, there was a discussion on the modern-day increasing use of the term "train station" rather than "railway station" [I tried the search facility herein for "train station" (together, and both with, and without, the quotes), but that was to no avail as, annoyingly, both words are "too common"].

A little earlier this morning, I heard a BBC1 television continuity announcer mention that the later 'Homes Under the Hammer' programme would include a property which overlooks a "train line".
Last edited by StevieG on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Following on from "Train station", now it's ....

Post by giner »

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his armpits.😋
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Some months ago I had to make a timetable enquiry with BR. The chap was very helpful but referred several times to 'train station'. Eventually I asked him if he in fact meant railway station at which he pulled the plug!

It is also noticeable that BBC and other TV commentators use both but it is only the older in service who still use railway station.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

A feature on BBC radio 4 last week (heard on the consumer programme called You & Yours Mon-Fri between 12:15-13:00hrs) about the popular rise in 'retail shopping' at "train stations" across Britain immediately had my ears pricked up especially as Kings Cross was the featured location was truely 'cringing to listen to' after the female reporter kept repeating the words "TRAIN STATION(S)" possibly up to 20 times during the 5-6 minutes long radio feature even after several of the people who she was interviewing called them "RAILWAY STATIONS" she would immediately come back with the words "TRAIN STATIONS" yuk!!.

Mickey
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

On one of these 'old memories of . . .' forums that I go on had a bit of chat going on about a long-gone station, and one of the blokes on there referred to it as the "train" station. There were no outright rebukes in reply, but all the replies were worded "railway" station, my own included. A bit of subtle education, if you will. :)
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

With reference to the use of the words 'train station' I have a feeling that it's more of a continental European saying that has been adopted by the younger generation in todays British society.

When I was a youngster in the late 1960s I would always say I'm going to the 'railway station' to watch the trains.

Mickey
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Mickey wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:09 pm " .... When I was a youngster in the late 1960s I would always say I'm going to the 'railway station' to watch the trains. "
... Or just 'the station', because for most, it was the only sort of 'station' around in those days ?
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 pm
Mickey wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:09 pm " .... When I was a youngster in the late 1960s I would always say I'm going to the 'railway station' to watch the trains. "
... Or just 'the station', because for most, it was the only sort of 'station' around in those days ?

Quite true Stevie "the station" but I also use to like saying the word "railway" a lot back then and still do.

Mickey
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

StevieG wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 pm ... Or just 'the station', because for most, it was the only sort of 'station' around in those days ?
Nah - in the olden days there were lots of police stations open too! These days it's easier to win the lottery than see a policemen, especially one on foot.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

65447 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:13 pm
StevieG wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 pm ... Or just 'the station', because for most, it was the only sort of 'station' around in those days ?
Nah - in the olden days there were lots of police stations open too! These days it's easier to win the lottery than see a policemen, especially one on foot.
Ah, true 65447. But that's one sort of station that most youngsters wouldn't have been saying "I'm just going to...." ! :)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Noticed yesterday on the TV Sky News channel, that among the headlines in the strap line scrolling along the bottom of the screen at about 09.30, that the buffer stop collision that occurred in Barcelona, had happened in its "train station".
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \