Now its 46229s turn

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Hehe theres a point 3440 could not get a 5 coach load away from Keigthley unassited so what hope has it got out of Whitby let alone Grosmont or the climb to Battersby how do you think the nick name City of Braso came about lol
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

how do you think the nick name City of Braso came about
Nothing to do with its haulage capabilities, surely more to do with its image? ;)

David
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Yes but as far as travelling Preserved railways gos 63601 is perminatly loaned to the GCR and National Collection locos rarely reach Scotland and 3440 is the only one shedulaed to cross the board in the near future. May be hard climbs dont suit the NRM. Shap, Beatock, Whiteboar, Ais Gill, Rannock Moor the list gos on and on but there is some thing repetertive about what gos over them. On shap alone the list for this year is very fermilliar exept 5690 of couse
Norman Coyne
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Norman Coyne »

Tom Quayle wrote:My point is that not every one can visit the NRM and thats why an active loco fleet is important.
I'm a newcomer to this forum & definitely don't want to ruffle feathers but I would have said that a well preserved loco fleet was more important than beating up locos, which are in some cases approaching their centenary, for the gratification of a few. Rather keep them at NRM with the ability to work up steam on occassion. I have to ask why can't everyone visit NRM? On such a small island it is a maximum of 455 miles to get there. To get to see 60010 'Dominion of Canada' I would have to travel 2400 miles & there's no chance she'll come & visit me.

Norman
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

No, I think I'm with you Norman. It is something we've discussed a few times in various different ways in the past few months. Personally I think the NRM do a good job "filling the gaps" in what the preservation groups do. They have a number of locomotives restored to excellent running condition that can go on tour, and even many of the static exhibits move around.

Unfortunately, all of these locomotives are going to have a limited life in running condition. It is possible that engines such as Butler-Henderson (D11 Improved Director), the D17, the two Ivatt Atlantics (C1, C2), etc will never be steamed again. It is a shame, but it is better that they survive in something resembling original condition, than be thrashed and messed up.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Let me guess at the NYMR 3440 (city of braso) will be working 2 coach locals at the pickering end to avoid looking rather stupid and making the term Gresley Was Right true lol
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Norman what I ment was that the Natinal collection is talking about sliming down at york, rather than disposing of things why not create more interest. As for most people getting there there are a few places and sercomstances that make it hard, for example it takes 7 hours to go from the Cumbrian coast to York by train (I know I done it NEVER AGIAN lol)
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Sir Lamiel is up and running, and it and chelenham are on stand by for Green Arrow in the Summer, once it gets the wheel set back in, and in to the paint shop for some nice LNER Green
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

By Chelenham, I presume you mean Chelenham. I hope thats not a backup, it hasn't had a boiler ticket since 1981 :shock:

David
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Wandering1500 wrote:By Chelenham, I presume you mean Chelenham.
:?: :?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Matt »

Cheltenham isn't going anywhere! Under it's own power at anyway, no doubt be shunted around the NRM about 4 million times though.

I presume you mean 850 Lord Nelson.