GCR super gala could happern in October

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

GCR gala funds

Post by Tom Quayle »

The gala fund raising must commence soon as there could be upto 20k to raise, I have a few ideas but could do with more any help much aprechiated.
Ideas
1 fund raising effot through railway media in a appeal style format.
2 Offer extra types of ticket and advance bookings on Swithland Resvoir ans sidings access as well as lineside passes.
Cost cutting/money making mesures that need to be taken
1, Reduce the visiting locos list from 3 down to 2 by droping Super D 49395
2, Run freights as far as Swithland not Rothley to reduce fuel consumtion
3, Drop diesels from the event
4, No vintage vehicles at stations
5, Remove 1 non revonue earning train i.e no engineers train
6, Non stop trains less offern so more passengers can join trains
7, Only double head once or twice a day
8, attach passenger stock to mail to offer different view of drop (higher price to be offered for these trains) on advanced booking basis
9, Fixed charge on bus to stations to cover the cost of this service
Any other suggestions are much aprechiated and Thanks to everyone who gave there opinion on the idea that is getting closer to reailty daily
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
rorz101uk
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: GCR gala funds

Post by rorz101uk »

2, Run freights as far as Swithland not Rothley to reduce fuel consumtion
can't do that because Swithland hasn't finish yet! its going to be another 2 years until you can do that!
8, attach passenger stock to mail to offer different view of drop (higher price to be offered for these trains) on advanced booking basis
you can't do that aswell, under the HMRI no one from the Public is allowed to travel on the TPO! other than Staff!
Thanks
Rory Capell
GCR:- Fireman
Jamie C. Steel
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Jamie C. Steel »

I dont really think you have much idea about the way the GCR operates.

Firstly, you cannot allow people into both Swithland Yard and on Swithland Viaduct.

Swithland Yard - It's a worksite and it's dangerous.
Swithland Viaduct - This is a double track railway, Trains pass on the viaduct, it is too dangerous to let anybody onto the viaduct.

Offer extra types of ticket
Such as what? The railway trialled 2 and 3 day Rovers for the 2005 Diesel Gala and they were not popular.
No vintage vehicles at stations
Why the hell not? This seems like a stupid idea.

Remove 1 non revonue earning train i.e no engineers train
We've only operated an engineers train in recent times at a Gala, and that was the Autumn Gala in 2005. And I thaught it was a good idea, as it provided a bit of variety in what was running up and down the railway, and removed the need to run light locomotives around.

Non stop trains less offern so more passengers can join trains
The majority of people who visit the railway get a thrill to see a steam hauled train go through Quorn and Woodhouse at 25mph, as a Guard I regularly have a grin on my face when we do that, it's something that the GCR can do that not many other railways can do.

Only double head once or twice a day
Have a look at the past Gala WTT's, we only Double Head once per day normally.

attach passenger stock to mail to offer different view of drop (higher price to be offered for these trains) on advanced booking basis
Passengers are banned from travelling on the TPO for a number of reasons, firstly it runs above 25mph, secondly you're bound to get some idiot leaning out of the window at Quorn, the TPO Apparatus when in use sticks out and is very close to the side of the train, it can kill you if your head hits it.

Fixed charge on bus to stations to cover the cost of this service
We cannot charge for a Bus service in any way shape or form unless we have a bus license, it either has to be operated as a bus service open to anybody who wants to pay the fare, or it has to be operated completely free open to anybody.

The more you say, the less I believe that you are actually working in conjunction with the railway, are you related to George Denscombe in any way shape or form?
Great Central Railway - Trainee Guard, Travelling Ticket Inspector, Platform Inspector (Loughborough) and Porter (Quorn & Woodhouse)
Chris Grouse
NBR J36 0-6-0

GCR super gala could happen in October

Post by Chris Grouse »

What's all this about getting rid of having vintage/classic vehicles at stations during a gala? Coming to a preserved/heritage railway is about more than just locomotives, especially at the GCR where the mission statement is to 'recreate the experience'. Plus most people who come aren't train spotters or enthusiasts or whatever you choose to be called, the majority of visitors to any heritage line are families or tourists, & if we had lots of old vehicles at each station it would be at least 10 - 15 minutes longer that they would linger on the railway & be tempted to come back.
Chris Grouse, Duty Station Master Quorn GCR, Senior Conductor EMT
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Right then here we go.
Lets think about this thank you for the constructive critersim
I fully understand your conserns but the top priority is lowering the cost of the 1st estimate (£20,000)
The only other way this can be met is if there is plenty of money put into it.
Ill now put it to every one. What ways can we lower costs with the syper D mow gone thats the cost reduced a bit.
This leaves us with 63395 and 92212 to bring in.
As far as swithland viaduct gos I ment the Water Board owned feild next to it not the viaduct itself under the same ruling as North of Loughbough station (NO GO areas)
Seen as Swithland cannot be used Rothley is the feasable option.
Engineers trains could run judging on peoples view of this. Sounds good on paper but the cost could be what cripples the plan
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

To be honest the Super D might be more of an attraction than the 9f- after all 92212 was based at the GCR for many years and they're more common than the Super D.
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

The idea for droping the Super D came about because of its anterage of staff and the fact that this puts the cost up. We have reasons for all the others to be on the GCR.
63601-Built for the railway
92212-Simmerler locos based at annersley for windcutters
4141-GWR locos got onto GCR metals on local traffic
45305-Black 5s worked on the GCR in the last years of the line
78019-Some of this class were based at Nottingham
63395-Q6s did make some adventures onto the GCR towards the end
30777-Bullied pacifics worked over the line and 30777 is the cheaper option rather than having it sat out of service and bringing in a Rebuilt Merchent Navy (Royal Mail work railtour over the GCR)
If anyone knows of Super Ds on the GCR please inform me and we will look at the plan agian.
Another point is that the 9f and Q6 are proving more popular on other sites as well as the poll on this one
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Seems fair enough to me, the Q6 would be the main reason i'd go, probably wouldn't go if it wasn't there because i've seen the other loco's before and the railway is local to me so if I wanted to see them I could easily go over to Loughborough. Have you or the GCR contacted the NELPG yet about the Q6?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Tom Quayle wrote:The idea for droping the Super D came about because of its anterage of staff
I give up. What is "anterage"? :?:
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

"entourage" I think!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Matt »

The deal is with the Super D is that when it visits a railway only a certain number of specially trained crews are allowed to operate it, this is due to the classes reputation for moving on it's own accord etc etc. This will be the score when it visits the NYMR later this Spring.
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

I personally would like to see the Super D sometime but the Q6 and 9F would be enough to get me to attend.

Although the Super D is the last of its type and its a croud puller.
I think that the gala sould have a strong Freight theme. With 2 (Possibley 3) visitors of the Heavey Freight Verierty and having the O4 baised at the railway I think a Freight themed Garla is a must.

How about a mixed passenger and goods train. Maby you could have the Inspection saloon at the fornt so people can look back over the wagons.

Also why don't you add the inspection saloon to some normal passenger services. That would free up a path for another goods or revinue earning train.
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
Andy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Andy »

Jamie C. Steel wrote: The more you say, the less I believe that you are actually working in conjunction with the railway, are you related to George Denscombe in any way shape or form?
Jamie,

This all sounds like rubbish, I wouldn't give this person any more attention and it would be best to leave it there. The GC's volunteers and paid staff organise gala events and I believe this person is either seeking attention or having a wind up at other people's expense.

Regards
Andy
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

Tom Quayle wrote:The idea for droping the Super D came about because of its anterage of staff and the fact that this puts the cost up. We have reasons for all the others to be on the GCR.
63601-Built for the railway
92212-Simmerler locos based at annersley for windcutters
4141-GWR locos got onto GCR metals on local traffic
45305-Black 5s worked on the GCR in the last years of the line
78019-Some of this class were based at Nottingham
63395-Q6s did make some adventures onto the GCR towards the end
30777-Bullied pacifics worked over the line and 30777 is the cheaper option rather than having it sat out of service and bringing in a Rebuilt Merchent Navy (Royal Mail work railtour over the GCR)
If anyone knows of Super Ds on the GCR please inform me and we will look at the plan agian.
Another point is that the 9f and Q6 are proving more popular on other sites as well as the poll on this one
Why not drop the 9F, and use 48305? Its already a resident, and 92212 was there last year ;)

David
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

The 8f is another possibility and no 9f will meen that bringing in 1 loco is all that is needed. I didn't put due to only the tender being at the GCR when this tread started