GCR super gala could happern in October

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

GCR super gala could happern in October

Post by Tom Quayle »

I have put the idea to the GCR and the management is interested. Iam currently in talks with them about which parts of the plan are best feasable and can be put into action by October the 7/8th for the Steam Railway gala.
Heres what we will be starting from
Locos- 78019, 45305, 4141, 63601, 9f (92212/92214/92203), super D and possibly 53809

Stock- Expresses, Mail trains, Parcels, Windcutters in both directions boiler first, locals, pick up freights, shunting demos, possible DMU and observation saloon.

Other- Line side passes on a 1st come 1st serve basis, access to swithland reservor and siding for enthuiast who book in advance. Observation car opertunity on a freight train. Vintage vehicles at stations and shuttle bus to main stations at both ends of the line.

Any last minute idea post now (feasble ones please)
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
Jammie667
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Jammie667 »

where exactly is the GCR? sounds like that will be a good weekend in october. will try to make that one.
James :)

God Save The Steam!
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Loughbourgh near nottingham I could do with some help with planning my end of the deal with the GCR its only in early stages I can sort out a map on memory map and post it here for you if you like, if you come by train catch the Midland mainline serivces from London or nottingham and you arrive about 1/2 a mile from the GCR in loughbough This event could be branded as from a Enthusiast mind to paper to the biggest non S&D event of the year
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

GCR super gala internet forum.
I will set up an MSN group for the event any one wanting to help me with planning or attending the event should join for news and the like
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Go on to Multimap and enter Loughbourgh and zoom out that should be easier to understand than the maps I get lol
Jammie667
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Jammie667 »

ah found it. it's a fair distance from me, about 2 hours i'd say, but it sounds like it would be worth it.
i take it you are in direct conjunction with the GCR? what sort of help would you need with the planning? let me know about the msn group for it

God Save The Steam!
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

As far as distance gos its about 4 hours for me Barrow in furness the town on the end of a 35 mile long coldersack lol. I am in conjunction with the GCR I could do with help in gathering information the the avalability of a 9f and the super D the main timetableing will proberbly be handled by the GCR commity as well as the costing but I will help in this. I am always open to suggestions on this front as well. Thanks for the interest if you want to help in this more in depthly then email me (no71000@hotmail.co.uk) the things you like most and I can forward youre interest to the GCR I am also working in other forums on MSN to generate interest.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Is it likely that forum members will be organising lots of meet-ups and galas?

If so, I could add a topic.
It wouldn't be worth it for just one though, and I would like them to concentrate on LNER if I did :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

If this is a sucess it could take off for other galas lets wait and see shall we richard
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Just an idea but if you get the newly overhauled Q6 63395 she'd look mighty fine on a rake of windcutters
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
rorz101uk
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by rorz101uk »

Hey Lads, just throught i should pop in

with the Super D , if you read back issues of Steam Railway they interview Mr Waterman and he would like it to come to the railway.

i don't think that any of the 9F are going to come back,

I think that because of the 7F is near to us it may come at some point but i really don't know.

these are what loco's i would like to have A1/2/3/4,O4/B1s/K1,Q6/J21 and J15, and if, all LNER stock from other Railways
Thanks
Rory Capell
GCR:- Fireman
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

LNER is not the core of the event thats why I posted in this area. The midland railway centre seem interested so thats good for at least 53809 and possibly 92214 (currently @ the ELR). I would like to see a large scale mass of LNER locos but bringing in the number you mentioned would not be feasable but the Q6 sounds good. The main plan as stated is to do things that have not been done before like beating the preservation haulage record with a proper freight loco (held by 30777) and having GCR style engines pass each other on windcutters boiler first. The main target that the GCR are interested in was the use of a possible 2 9fs but this could be changed if the Q6 was avalable making the line up 63601, 63395, 53809 and the Super D. That would be a first I think (tell me if you know otherwise). Imagine a Q6,O4 double headed windcutter :lol: that would draw the crowds. Well weve got till october to finalise it.
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

I think it would be great to see an all LNER Garla at the GCR. You know all the locomotives being of LNER origin and as much of the rolling stock authentic for the locomotives. (Eg Running Mk1's and the Windcutters.) Nothing like what the NYMR did for its so called LNER Garla.

How about a Heavey Freight theme to the Garla Having as meny Freight Engines as possible and a few passenger types for veriety (Possible Line up: 2 9F's, O4, Q6, Super D, the standard Standard 2 and a Black 5 the last 2 being because of their mixed traffic status and the sutability of the standard 2 for smaller trains (The Inspection Saloon for example)

One thing which would be good would be to see all the suviving operational ex-LNER locomotives in one place.
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
Jammie667
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Jammie667 »

that sounds like it will be costly and complicated to sort out. i imagine it will be difficult to get all the remaining LNER loco's in one place, as at the moment some are being restored and some may be booked for appearences or mainline running.

On richards point i think it would be good if we could all arrange meets at certain events around the country, such as the steam gala at the NYMR or this possible gala at the GCR. we could make interesting weekends out of them.

God Save The Steam!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

If there's interest, I could start a forum to do that. It is a bit far for me to travel though!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia