8F over cumbrian coast why not more offern

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

8F over cumbrian coast why not more offern

Post by Tom Quayle »

Saturdays (18th march) Cumbrian Coastal Dalesman my be the only steam hauled tour over the line for sometime now due to engineering works at Levens. 48151 came up trumps carrying the Guage O Guild nameplates. It ran throught Thiwate Flat (Park South to non lacals) junction around 20 minutes early and you could hear it all the way to Ulverston. Got a great shot of it in both directions all though there was an non timetabled stop at Arnside on the North Bound run. I feel this was a tour that did the line justice and its a shame that more tour operators donot relise its potential as an altertive to Carlisle or Appleby. If the line had the right backing I feel WCRC could bring the Jacobite South under a different name over the Cumbrian Coast. There is alot of opertunity for destinations on the coast and lots of interesting things to do from a tour point of view.
Here are just a few examples
Ulverston for L&H railway
Ravenglass
Sellifeild
Shopping in Barrow
Getting 45305 back to the site of one of its forma sheds (11A)
As well as the Lake district national park and Irish sea for a backdrop.
Will be at least June before steam returns
Can anyone explain where the Gauge O Guild nameplates come from and what the link is with 48151 they appear austire to me.
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: 8F over cumbrian coast why not more offern

Post by Bullhead »

Tom Quayle wrote:I feel WCRC could bring the Jacobite South under a different name over the Cumbrian Coast.
Bonnie Prince Charlie did stay in Penrith during his march on London (well, Derby) so why change the name?
Tom Quayle wrote:Shopping in Barrow.
Prada, Gucci, Boss, nuclear submarines. Oh, and deep-fried sweetbreads. Probably. :wink:
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

That and if I have my way with a few of the visitors we get 'Scotch mist' (cigerette smoke in a bottle). The Shopping Barrow is almost the same as Lancaster or Kendal (small but there is things there if you look. Anyway the whole point of going to Barrow would be to bring 45305 back to the site of one of its forma home sheds (or close to it) 11A Barrow.
Locos that have been over the cumbrian coast in the past 10 years
71000 Duke of Glouchester
61264 (light test run)
Taw Vally (in horrible red livery)
Ivatt 2mt mogal (cannot remeber number)
Leander
A black 5 might of been Ill have to check
Locos from the past 6 years
Oh thats hard to answer 48151, 48151 and 48151
the same 8f 3 times come on we want diverse shots
Thats like running the same class 66/4 on the Malcome everyday
the shots will dry up eventually.
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

As far as the name gos I can remember the Furness Flyer headboard (still @ carnforth I think) on locos like 5690 and 71000. Where the good times gone. On the subject of the jacobite 61264 is confermed and with the refitting of nameplates to 48151 it will proberbly be the 2nd engine. Good Point about Charlie though hows about. 'London boring, Derby ok, right lets go home'.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Interestingly - perhaps - there is a link between the 1745 rebellion and railways. The Jacobite army used the Cockenzie and Tranent Wagonway to get across an area of marshy ground into a favourable position before defeating government forces in the Battle of Prestonpans - see http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/t ... t4385.html - thus making this the first use of a railway in war.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?