Robin Barnes

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Robin Barnes

Post by redtoon1892 »

I have just been browsing Robert Barnes web pages and there is some interesting stuff on there, in particular Mr Hitlers idea of a European 3mt gauge ralway network, Great Britain would have been excluded from this.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=50558

http://www.robinbarnes.net/
Another artcle I found interesting was this :-

Much practical work was done on the British pulverised coal fired gas turbine locomotive during the mid-1950s, to the extent that the so-called 'air boiler' underwent extensive static testing at the works of its maker, C. A. Parsons of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. In addition the chassis and parts of the bodywork were assembled by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. Ultimately, however, the various problems that arose proved insoluble and the project was abandoned about 1956. This painting, however, assumes it did reach fruition and trials run, on one of which the locomotive is seen departing northward from Carlisle, everyone on board, one imagines, very much on their toes.
In the illustration it carries the number 18200, did this loco ever exist apart from on the drawing board or in Mr Barnes vivid imagination ?.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Robin Barnes

Post by 61070 »

re. The Parsons/NBL Coal-burning Gas Turbine locomotive

I don't think the component parts of this prototype were brought together in one place and made into a complete, working locomotive (i.e. one that could actually 'locomote', to quote the future guardian of our language when he named Tornado). However, the project has been well written up by a retired CA Parsons chief turbine engineer, and his account was published by the Newcomen Society in 1994. The following link should take you to a page on the Society's website where you can either download the first page (basically the introduction) free, or download the entire 30-odd pages for a fee (£10 I think).

http://www.pubs-newcomen.com/cgi-bin/so ... ecord=1127

I've attempted to attach the free first page download.

The painting (I found it under 'Railway Art 4') would make a very interesting comparison with a model which I have seen at the Glasgow Museum of Transport that also purports to show what the loco would have looked like. I can't remember much of the detail, except that the model is mainly blue in colour, while the painting shows a green livery; I don't remember the model bearing a BR number. I haven't been able to find any reference to this model on the museum's website, but they are busy preparing to move to a new site so it may not be on show at present.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Robin Barnes

Post by 61070 »

More on the NBL/Parsons Experimental Coal-burning Gas Turbine Locomotive:

Order placed by Ministry of Fuel & Power with NBL Co. Ltd. in July 1952 for the design and construction of a prototype, to be ready for trial running by the end of 1954. Major sub-contractor: C.A. Parsons & Co. Ltd. Value £150k (= approx £11m today).

Testing of the gas turbine unit and auxiliaries, mounted on the loco frame and connected to dynamometer (no power bogies), was carried out at Parsons' Heaton Works, Newcastle, from Dec 1955 to Dec 1958. After many difficulties, chiefly with the combustion equipment, the project was formally suspended in March 1959. The loco did not 'turn a wheel' - it never had any; although I believe the power bogies were built, they never left Glasgow.

The theoretical advantage, and justification for the experiment, was quoted by comparison with a 'Castle' class loco on the Paddington-Plymouth run. 9.8% thermal efficiency was said to be achievable, compared with 5.7% for the 'Castle'.