Lineside Stupidity

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Lineside Stupidity

Post by Tom Quayle »

The way Lineside passes are delt with by preserved railways is one area that I feel leaves much to be desiered. For people who don't live close to a decent preserved railway don't have the fund to pay for membership and lineside passes for 1 weekend. Wouldn't it be a better idea if the railways got together and arranged days where people can go and do the safety courses. Then offer lineside passes on a 1 weekend or Gala basis this would proberbly draw more people. Now this may sound stupid but it is true on the Settle Carlisle, in places it is easier to lineside a mainline railtour than a Steam Gala at a preserved railway, all you need do is ask. Come on Ive linesided the royal train legally without a hitch why not a gala at a preserved railway with lineside passes on a 1st come 1st serve basis.

Its this kind of thing that can make some gala frustrating as well for example some railways you dont need lineside passes you can film from footpaths near or next to them. The NYMR comes to mind. Its when people with lineside passes show up when you have been somewhere for nearly 30minutes oready and stand in you shot. When you draw this to there attention most will apologise and move or even come and join you on the other side of the fence. But some will think they have a god givern right to tell you to move and that they 'paid' for the priverlage but what these snobs don't ralise is people like me who only visit for the gala weekend travel around on the train all day on the Friday (if a 3 day event) or Sunday and film the rest of the time. Its people with that kind of attitude that give owr hobby a bad image. It makes you think are these the same blokes who stood on the Southern mainline with an electrified 3rd rail. It realy ennoys me :x :x :x :( :twisted: :evil:
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Matt »

I agree Tom with respect to your NYMR experiences, in my honest opinion the best locations for taking photographs on the Moors do not require lineside passes, this is why I have not got one although yes, it can be very annoying when a select few linesiders in bright orange jackets insist on selecting somewhere trackside right in front of a well used and popular photting location for example Darnholm:

I have witnessed people standing right by the trackside at that spot, highly annoying.
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

Some railways do do this, for example the north norfolk has gala passes, weekend passes, one day passes and annual passes. But some other railways have strange rules regarding passes, for example, the nene valley railway's annual passes are not valid during the main gala as a supplimentry pass is also required!

I would agree, NYMR doesnt really need passes as there are some great spots, i.e. darnholm, beck hole and moorgates to name but a few

Why cant all railways follow the NNR's example
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

The NYMR is proberbly the best line I have visited for non lineside pass shots, that and the Oakworth-Oxenhope section of the KWVR. There are at least 7 different shots within a 1/2 mile of Grosmont station. Beck hole is a great place you move 50 yards and get another good shot. Right Ill go and book the campsite for May 19th, 20th and 21st lol. I would have been anyway. 60007 and 2 Black 5s (and City of Braso if you are 'Gresley Was Right' minded). :lol: :) :D 8)
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Lineside Stupidity

Post by Bullhead »

Tom Quayle wrote:Ive linesided the royal train legally
On Network Rail infrastructure? How? :shock: Are you the Prince of Wales?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Nah my ears arn't that big and he was on the train. We simply asked the sercurity personel that were watching Long Meg gorge and as long as we stayed within sight of them they were fine about it