Settle Carlise Banarna

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Settle Carlise Banarna

Post by Tom Quayle »

Network Rails 'New' Track Measurement train ran over Settle Carlisle on easter saturday. Lol carrying the Pantergraph coach, either it was a diversion or the Settle Carlisle is getting Penderlenos lol. Lets hope the first is true we don't want the shot at Ais Gill to go the way of Queens Monument or York do we.
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I think the semi-official name for the NMT is "Doctor Yellow".

Electrification of the Settle and Carlisle is pretty unlikely but things with pantographs have been appearing at Blea Moor for longer than you might expect:
Attachments
D7551 E3047 Blea Moor 1975 a.jpg
Pic by me, 1975
(259.65 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Aren't they doing the West Coast line, and diverting over the Settle Carlisle?
I heard they were anyway!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Yes diverstions are on that was my main thory on Dr Yellow being on Settle Carlisle. Ive seen 90s and 87s draged over the route as well as a strange consist that went EWS class 66, class 92, class 56 (92 and 56 dead in train of course) all on the front end of an enterprise. Shure beats the last 'fake' triple header I heard about at Hellifeild, 2 Thunderbirds and a class 60. Which came about because a 57 failed on the settle Carlise and was pushed to Hellifeild by the following Gypsum train and another 57 ran on at hellifeild to remove its stricken class mate
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The biggest such rescue I know of was the incident that inspired Awdry's "Super Rescue" in his book "Enterprising Engines". I can't find any details beyond his own forward which mentions Waterloo and a steam engine saving two diesels complete with their trains.

In the book version, Henry is broken but running light for repairs (broken regulator?) and manages to haul two crippled diesels complete with their trains.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia