Track Measurement for Inclines and Vertical

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jammy
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Track Measurement for Inclines and Vertical

Post by Jammy »

Hello,

As part of my railway engineering course I've been given a homework to find the measurement in incline track and vertical track with the only help of using Google, unfortunately Google has failed me. So far the only lead in measuring incline track is 1:100, but 1:100 what? I need to put the figure in three units mm, feet and inches. And vertical track I have not a clue with.

Hopefully railway enthusiasts with many more years of knowledge than me will know, please help. Thank you.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Track Measurement for Inclines and Vertical

Post by 60041 »

When a gradient is expressed as a ratio ie 1:100 it simply means that the track rises (or falls) by 1 unit in height for 100 units in distance travelled, so therefore the units do not matter; the gradient will be the same regardless of whether the units are feet, inches or metres: so a long stretch of line with a constant gradient of 1:100 rising will rise 52.8 feet per mile or 10 metres per Km.
Can't help with vertical track, I don't know what you mean.
Jammy
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Jammy »

Brilliant thank you 60041, that's helped me crack my second out of three questions. I was able to find out four pieces in an overhead line, wrote 12 down for it in fact. However I don't even know what vertical track is, as track goes horizontal last time I checked?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Railway track does actually come in 2 forms.
Inclined - This is generally plain line and the rails are inclined at an angle of 1 in 20 towards the centre of the sleeper.

Vertical - Generally used on pointwork between about 1975 and 2000.
The rails in this case are vertically seated on the sleeper or bearer.

In both cases the actual rail seat or baseplate is inclined or level dependant on type. At the interface between the 2 types a special rail called a TWIST rail is installed. This, as its name suggests, incorporates a deliberate twist in the rail to change it from 1 in 20 to vertical. These are generally to be found next to pointwork. For example looking at the switch toes towards the plain line. About 1m or so beyond the switch toes will be a welded joint or possibly a plated joint then either 650mm or 1200mm (first bay or second bay past the joint the baseplates will change. The twist will be in the middle of the bay were the baseplates change. Vertical baseplates are branded with a V in the lettering on them.

If I can find any photos I will post them