Newcastle Civil Engineers Building

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Newcastle Civil Engineers Building

Post by 52A »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11615577

This is a new use for an old BR building.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Newcastle Civil Engineers Building

Post by Trestrol »

I will see if i can find out where all the Network Rail staff are going out of this building. Was built as a hospital originally. Wonder what will happen to the N.E.R war memorial located in the stairwell?
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Good point about the war memorial, maybe worth keeping an eye on it and alerting this organisation :-
http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/
52A

Post by 52A »

The staff will probably end up in sub standard portacabins again.
Deltic18
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deltic18 »

I'll always have memories of that building as it was where I started working for BR back in 1978.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I went for an interview for an internal vacancy back in 93.
Didnt get it so stayed at Leeds ACE instead eventually went back a couple of times for rmeetings etc.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

A bit of an update. As far as i have been told there are a few sites under consideration for network rail to move to. Some are better that others. they are:- Next to Tyneside IECC opposite Gateshead shed site(road access in rush hour not brilliant, and all those residents of the yuppy flats opposite are bound to complain about a lot of portacabins), Team Valley trading estate, a Site near the Metro Centre and Heaton electrification depot. Hope to find out more soon.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I think someone needs to think a bit about the requirements.
Unless direct access to trackside is needed then a compound on an industrial estate near the A1 or other main trunk route is all that is needed. Team Valley would be ideal.
Requirement now is mobility, as the days of the local gang are long gone, Mobility comes from being located on a main arterial route not stuck in town streets.

We were asked what would be our ideal location for work around Leeds if we had to relocate from Holbeck, ignoring the obvious and saying HOME most of us came up with an industrial estate near the A1/ M1 link rd Jcn 44 not far from Stourton. Straight onto the Motorway network and away to anywhere. Not messing about in town.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

I don't think there is anything like good road access in the Newcastle area. One of the people i spoke to yesterday was dreading them going to the Team valley as the Western Bypass is solid with traffic for nearly 3 hours morning and afternoon, a quick response to a fault won't happen. Although the Heaton site is more in town it is half way between the A1 and the A19 Tyne Tunnel.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Send them to Tweedmouth re roof the shed, plenty of open space and even rail access in the up yard which was used during electrification.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52A

Post by 52A »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11661906

This development near the Forth Banks has the old Stephenson works right in the middle. No mention of its future.
52A

Post by 52A »

Is this the replacement for Forth Banks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-15705759
52A

Post by 52A »

Is the area in question, known in BR days as Chaytors Bank? The Tyneside IECC is now on the extreme right of the picture where the old BR laundry building was. Gateshead shed was to the left of the picture, now blocks of flats.
Attachments
65853 Cl9 KEB 23-3-66c.jpg
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

TRESTROL wrote:I will see if i can find out where all the Network Rail staff are going out of this building. Was built as a hospital originally. Wonder what will happen to the N.E.R war memorial located in the stairwell?
According to a recent article in the York Press, Network Rail plan to open a combined Route Control and Training Centre on the triangle of land behind behind York station with the creation of 475 jobs, though the vast majority of those will be staff moving from other centres.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9344883 ... obs_boost/

"52A" Chaytors Bank was the incline which ran from Greenesfield Junction under the approach arches of the King Edward Bridge to Redheugh and the Tanfield Branch. You can see it marked on my plan as Tanfield Branch.It was still visible until the early 1980's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/4 ... otostream/
52A

Post by 52A »

Chaytors Bank is behind the train in my pic., I haven't worded it very well! The incline you refer to was the Redheugh Incline for which the famous Redheugh Bankers were built.