Is it safe?

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Is it safe?

Post by hq1hitchin »

It's a terrible indictment of the so called 'good old days' to think that the railways managed to kill a couple of hundred staff a year in various accidents, and literally thousands were injured. This little book from the LMS is a praiseworthy attempt to help staff think about everyday hazards on the railway of the 1920s. Some splendid period photos which most of us won't have seen before. 'Ere 'tis:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsum ... docID=4277
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Is it safe?

Post by CVR1865 »

That is a really good read, thanks for posting that.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Does anyone have any stats for this year? It would be interesting to compare.
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

giner wrote:Does anyone have any stats for this year? It would be interesting to compare.
Looking at the Office of the Rail Regulator's website, workforce fatalities are now averaging 2 to 3 a year, but only 1 fatality in 2010/11. Major injuries to railway staff about 150 p.a.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I don't think that they (Network Rail) can make it any much safer for anyone working out on the track nowadays, virtually nobody's is allowed to work out on the track nowadays without either the road(s) being blocked first TO ALL TRAINS either under a 'line blockage' or when working within a complete 'possession of the line' during engineering work. Accidents probably still happen to men while working within a possession at work sites though?.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Micky wrote:I don't think that they (Network Rail) can make it any much safer for anyone working out on the track nowadays, virtually nobody's is allowed to work out on the track nowadays without either the road(s) being blocked first TO ALL TRAINS either under a 'line blockage' or when working within a complete 'possession of the line' during engineering work. Accidents probably still happen to men while working within a possession at work sites though?.
I will always remember feeling physically sick as I read a message coming over the teleprinter regarding four S&T men being killed at Edge Hill one night in about 1989. They were working on a set of points and run down by a light engine and, presumably, didn't hear it coming because of the noise of a nearby tamper. Terrible, imagine being called to that and then having to tell the next-of-kin?

I do wonder about some of the current minor rules, though. Why, for example, should blokes going out signal sighting always be required to wear safety boots and hard hats - I presume this is still the case? A colleague in Network Rail some years back worried about job security so decided to train in his spare time as a chiropodist, just in case. He was duly declared redundant by NR and is now a full time chiropodist off the railway. He told me that wearing safety footwear is akin to kicking your toes against a brick wall and that they should only be worn when absolutely necessary i.e. when there is a risk of an object dropping on your foot. I duly advised those at NR responsible for such policy matters of this but it fell on deaf ears. Similarly, the modern requirement for the lads to always be covered in h.v. clothing from head to toe can't make it very comfortable in hot weather to be on or about the line.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

hq1hitchin wrote:Similarly, the modern requirement for the lads to always be covered in h.v. clothing from head to toe can't make it very comfortable in hot weather to be on or about the line.
It does make me wonder sometimes if things haven't gone a bit 'overboard' when you get a couple of p.way guy's show up to grease a set of points totally covered in ORANGE from neck to boots wearing white 'hard hats' on a NON-electrified line with no overhead catenary. Obviously on the railways pre-1960s there wasn't any H.V.clothing then B.R. introduced the 'small yellow' jacket but the 'problem' is that you have manager's nowadays that inist in a 100% SAFE RAILWAY and if that means a track-worker wearing 100% ORANGE clothing, saftey boots & hard hats then so be it.
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Micky wrote:
hq1hitchin wrote:Similarly, the modern requirement for the lads to always be covered in h.v. clothing from head to toe can't make it very comfortable in hot weather to be on or about the line.
It does make me wonder sometimes if things haven't gone a bit 'overboard' when you get a couple of p.way guy's show up to grease a set of points totally covered in ORANGE from neck to boots wearing white 'hard hats' on a NON-electrified line with no overhead catenary. Obviously on the railways pre-1960s there wasn't any H.V.clothing then B.R. introduced the 'small yellow' jacket but the 'problem' is that you have manager's that inist in a 100% safe railway nowadays and if that means a track worker wearing 100% ORANGE safey boots & hard hats then so be it.
Surely if that protective clothing saves even one life in ten years it is worth it?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

PinzaC55 wrote:
Micky wrote:
It does make me wonder sometimes if things haven't gone a bit 'overboard' when you get a couple of p.way guy's show up to grease a set of points totally covered in ORANGE from neck to boots wearing white 'hard hats' on a NON-electrified line with no overhead catenary. Obviously on the railways pre-1960s there wasn't any H.V.clothing then B.R. introduced the 'small yellow' jacket but the 'problem' is that you have manager's that inist in a 100% safe railway nowadays and if that means a track worker wearing 100% ORANGE saftey boots & hard hats then so be it.
Surely if that protective clothing saves even one life in ten years it is worth it?
Thats the usual arguement that is always used. Where i work the guy who is 'contracted' to clean the station and empty the rubbish bins walks around in 100% ORANGE clothing & saftey boots (but no hard hat) at the moment?. :lol:
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Thats an amusing story but it doesn't alter the fact that increasingly stringent H&SE measure, though irritating, do save lives where railways are concerned.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Thats how 'crazy' the railways are nowadays?? :?
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The problem is (and I am playing devils advocate here) do you want a rule or a guideline? What speed is the line, how far is the bucket away, is there a 3rd rail, does the guy have a PTS card? If you have to check all these things you'll be on the phone forever, but if you have a blanket rule it relieves you of responsibilty in the event of an accident. Lets say he goes on the track without PTS and has an accident? His fault, not your fault, and its his managers fault if he told him to do it.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Ignore the fact that it this post is on a railway.
Think of it as a construction site now try and start work.
You would not be allowed through the gate without Hard hat, Hi Vis, Boots and anything else likely to be needed.
Look at the notices posted at the gate.
Why should railways be any different?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Bryan wrote:Ignore the fact that it this post is on a railway.
Think of it as a construction site now try and start work.
You would not be allowed through the gate without Hard hat, Hi Vis, Boots and anything else likely to be needed.
Look at the notices posted at the gate.
Why should railways be any different?
Yes you may have a point if you look at it in that way in which case taking it to it's logical conclusion ALL locomotives/DMUs/EMUs and rolling stock should really be painted in ALL OVER BRIGHT DAY-GLO ORANGE!! and ALL railway staff i.e. driver's, conductor's, signaller's, plarform staff, as well as p.way staff, S&T staff and other's should all be wearing-

HARD HATS, ALL OVER ORANGE H.V. CLOTHING, GLOVES & SAFETY BOOTS at all times while on duty!!. :wink:

H&S finally gone MAD!!. :lol: