IS RAILWAY HISTORY IGNORED?

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

IS RAILWAY HISTORY IGNORED?

Post by Bryan »

redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: IS RAILWAY HISTORY IGNORED?

Post by redtoon1892 »

A sore point with me is this topic, the cretins at Gateshead Council have totally ignored the towns railway heritage apart from permitting the developer of Ochre Yards to name a few new roads and condiminiums with a railway connection which I am pleased to say I had a hand in.
I have tried many times to have a blue plaque placed onto the wall of Sir Vincent Ravens former home in Coatsworth without success, likewise with the former railway reading rooms and library at Hudson St.
Sadly all the works, yards & maintenance shops have all disappeared apart from Tyne Yard which is just a shadow of its former self, it was built to handle traffic that was already fast disappearing from the railway and you could say it was a proverbial white Elephant.
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

All
I have been informed by Gateshead council that the Mayor of Gateshead will be unveiling a blue plaque for Sir Vincent Raven on Thurs 15 March at 1000 o clock on the walls of CCS games point 5 Fletcher street NE8 2AB.

Yours truly 52H
Last edited by 52H on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

That's something I guess - the plaque to Raven - but in the main, railway heritage and history is dismissed as "Only for Train-Spotters!"

I blame the modern "Comedian" aka distributor of foul mouthed tyrades. Anyone not into Football (English premiership teams only of course) or getting so drunk as to be sick then have a punch-up in the gutter and wonder where the bruises came from the next morning is subject to abuse.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Re the Stockton thing the towns greatest shame was allowing the stations overall roof to be demolished then for the station to be gradually dismantled and turned into what I think is an old folks home. Not content with that they allow the Grand Central trains to sail through without stopping when I am sure a concerted local campaign could have got them to call there.
But...all they can think of is to spend X millions on a theme park with a vastly expensive replica of Locomotion No 1!
Sometimes I despair for this country which used to be the "workshop of the world" and is now filled with theme parks and pizza shops.
Last edited by PinzaC55 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Coronach »

The destruction of our industrial base will go down in history as one of our darkest eras, perpetrated for purely ideological purposes.
This is the price we pay for allowing one city to act like it owns the entire country, aided and abetted by a corrupt and incompetent political class.

Dave.
"If they say it's good, we know it's bad; if they say it's bad, we know it's good." - Jimmy Reid.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I think the incorrect liveries worn by preserved locos is just the 'little boys' inside a lot of men getting carried away.

That and the marketing men, who insist that every now and again "the brand" must be relaunched.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Micky wrote:
PinzaC55 wrote:Sometimes I despair for this country whic used to be the "workshop of the world" and is now filled with theme parks an pizza shops.
Well said Pinza (i often agree with your posts) i totally agree with your sentiments this country feels like it's been turned into a 'theme park' in the last 20-25 years. :?

Sorry to go off topic there lad's.

The only railway historian that i thought was any good and enjoyed reading his books and gaining knowledge from them was the late great - O.S.NOCK. :wink:
Thanks for the thumbs up Micky but when you talk about great railway authors don't forget Ken Hoole! His book "Forgotten Railways - North East" was possibly the one book which set me to exploring old railways. 8)
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Coronach wrote:The destruction of our industrial base will go down in history as one of our darkest eras, perpetrated for purely ideological purposes.
This is the price we pay for allowing one city to act like it owns the entire country, aided and abetted by a corrupt and incompetent political class.

Dave.
Have we had a Government since World War Two that hasn't done irrepairable damage to the country and its industries? I think not.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Dont forget George Dow.

I remember trying to read one of his GC history volumes while at school, but it was a bit heavy going for me in those days
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

Whilst we are remembering, don't forget Ahrons.
Good intelligent writing and with a sense of humour.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

I don't think Gateshead ever forgave the NER for leaving the works (which couldn't be expanded) for Darlington (which could). They forget that right up to the early 70s the railways employed several hundred people in Gateshead.