Beamish Great Northern Festival of Transport 2013

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Beamish Great Northern Festival of Transport 2013

Post by Rlangham »

Visited Beamish this Saturday, over which the 'Our Friends Electric' event was taking place, celebrating 40 years of the Beamish tramway operation, as part of the ongoing Great Northern Festival of Transport event. As well as two visiting Trams, Glasgow 1068 from Crich and Lisbon 730 from Birkenhead, the rest of the Beamish home fleet was positioned outside the depot on display with Newcastle 214 having a fantastic floral display, very reminiscent of special occasions in the Edwardian era when Trams would be decorated thus. It also meant a view inside the depot where for the first time I saw Trolleybus Newcastle 501, Tram 264 of Sheffield built in 1907, and the Ford Model T van. Also for the first time I saw railway operation in the colliery, and also a vertical boiler locomotive working for the first time. Unfortunately i'll miss out on next weekend's activities at Beamish

Head Wrightson 'Coffee Pot' 0-4-0VBT of 1871, Number 1 of Seaham Harbour

NCB 22 of 1949, a Barclay 0-4-0ST, on passenger duties on the 1913 demonstration line

1928 Fowler crane traction engine 'Duke of York' in the goods yard of Rowley Station

Blackpool Tram 31 of 1901

Scammell Scarab mechanical horse

Aveling & Porter steam roller 'Ayesha' of 1924

Lisbon tram 730

'Flash' the pit pony with shunting in the background

Unsure what the circular building is... did overhear one Beamish bus driver describe it as the Geordie moon project rocket silo!

Glasgow 1068 of 1919

'Ayesha' making plenty of noise climbing Pockerley bank

Replica of the 1815 'Steam Elephant' which I believe worked at Wylam colliery

Newcastle tram 214 of 1901

Newcastle 501 of 1948

Sheffield 264 of 1907
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask