BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

Post by IAK »

Very tasty... The castings idea has some legs.
As for the piccie - hmmmmmmmmmmm
I can see someone producing a very deep and thoughtful article on these O4 models.
For those of us who noodle it will be a god send, especially if you are a slow as me! :lol:
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

Prominent boltheads along the top of the frames should be there for most locos, although they did not feature on another 04/1, namely 5408 in 1926. Unfortunately, 04/1 63601, now preserved, did not feature them either and Bachmann copied this faithfully! An etching could solve this.

The checker plate looks like a wrapper when seen on 63601 in 1964 and looks to have been unique.

The widened footplate above the cylinders should just clear the rear of the cylinders, so the model is not accurate. Then again, is the preserved 04 like this?

Larry
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

coachmann wrote:Prominent boltheads along the top of the frames ....An etching could solve this.
Or my usual low-tech approach of evenly sized and spaced dots of PVA.

The checker plate would disappear with a wipe of filler and a rub-down.

I see no way of reprofiling the running plate edges within the bounds of reasonable time, risk and effort.

It's a shame that ANY corrections need to be contemplated. There's loads of information freely available on the "majority type" of O4, why did they attempt to model a slighly un-representative preserved loco and then perhaps still get bits wrong?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening all

Quick question from me, regarding the O4 models, I curently have the LNER version and have seen the preserved version with late crest, but wherever I look I can't seem to see the early crest version. Has it been held back?

Tom
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

I can't seem to see the early crest version. Has it been held back?
It isn't available yet, otherwise I'd have one too. :D
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

coachmann wrote:
I can't seem to see the early crest version. Has it been held back?
It isn't available yet, otherwise I'd have one too. :D
Cheers Coachmann, that explains it

early crest O4 and those Peppercorn A2s...... it's going to be a good summer :D
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

After an arduous weekend working on my cherished "classic" car (why do I do it????) I've been able to return to some model making tonight and have finished off my master for the replacement top-boxes for the rear of a GC tender. I've actually made a bit of a compromise regarding the details of the boxes, as renewed study of drawings and details of the prototype showed that in much the same way as the LNER had both a pre-1937 and a post-1937 version of the GS tender, so the GC twenty years earlier had a pre-1917 and a post-1917 variety. In both instances, for the observant, the "give away" in usual views is the shape of the front ends of the side coalplates, the earlier tenders having a longer "low front" before the rise of the coalplates. I've ignored the GC self-trimming tenders which are a different kettle of fish anyway.

Although the details of the top-boxes on the early and late types of GC tender were probably not identical, I decided that they were similar enough to be modelled in one style only, and that this would keep open the option of putting the converted Bachmann tender behind later GC locos such as Improved Directors and the Four-Cylinder types. Pre and post 1917 "looks" can be created according to how much of a new rear coal plate you fit, and where you fit it, and as that need only be a piece of plastikard, that should be an easy piece of work.

I'll let you know how the resin copies turn out, eventually.
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:After an arduous weekend working on my cherished "classic" car (why do I do it????) I've been able to return to some model making tonight and have finished off my master for the replacement top-boxes for the rear of a GC tender. I've actually made a bit of a compromise regarding the details of the boxes, as renewed study of drawings and details of the prototype showed that in much the same way as the LNER had both a pre-1937 and a post-1937 version of the GS tender, so the GC twenty years earlier had a pre-1917 and a post-1917 variety. In both instances, for the observant, the "give away" in usual views is the shape of the front ends of the side coalplates, the earlier tenders having a longer "low front" before the rise of the coalplates. I've ignored the GC self-trimming tenders which are a different kettle of fish anyway.

Although the details of the top-boxes on the early and late types of GC tender were probably not identical, I decided that they were similar enough to be modelled in one style only, and that this would keep open the option of putting the converted Bachmann tender behind later GC locos such as Improved Directors and the Four-Cylinder types. Pre and post 1917 "looks" can be created according to how much of a new rear coal plate you fit, and where you fit it, and as that need only be piece of plastikard, that should be an easy piece of work.

I'll let you know how the resin copies turn out, eventually.
I look forward to seeing how this turns out Graeme, I found Tony Wright's article in BRM this month most interesting about upgrading the 04......roll on Mr King's Modifications :lol:
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

For a preview of my alterations to the tender top to make it "correctly GC" see the lower part of this page:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&p=32660#p32660
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:For a preview of my alterations to the tender top to make it "correctly GC" see the loer part of this page:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&p=32660#p32660
That is one heck of an improvement! :wink:
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

earlswood nob wrote: If I keep the O4 footplate & chassis and add a Hornby B17 boiler, I might get something resembling an O4/7.
If you've not yet started and you want to gain some idea of what might be involved in re-working the B17 boiler to suit O4/7 application, then it may be worth having a look over the next few days at what I did to make such a boiler suitable for a K4.
loco-workbench-b2-p1-w1-a3-o2-3-p10-p2- ... 3s405.html
I believe you will need to ADD length however, unless you get the smokebox too (maybe join two boilers?) and you'll need to extend the firebox sides downwards, although there won't be so much to cut out from the boiler bottom.

Skaran
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Skaran »

I was just wondering since I don't have an O4 yet though I will eventually need one. How much work does it look like would be needed to turn the Bachmann O4 into an original GCR 8K as it may have run in 1912?

For that matter what about the NuCast one (I actually quite like the mass of white metal kits) has anyone made one of these up in original condition and what difficulties were encountered?
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

I suspect that as Bachmann are now doing the GWR ROD version they will eventually release an O4 in original state. I would imagine that it is quite possible to retrofit one of the existing models by changing the boiler mountings but you would need to also alter the tender as has been described elsewhere in these forums.

As for the ROD version the addition of a Westinghouse Pump and piping is not a problem. I have done similar things on 8F 2-8-0s and intend eventually to produce a grey painted O4 as shipped overseas in WWII.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Skaran wrote:How much work does it look like would be needed to turn the Bachmann O4 into an original GCR 8K as it may have run in 1912?
A fair amount. Others may add points to this list, but as well as the tender:

Change to parallel front buffer sockets
Ensure wheel and handle on smokebox door, not twin handles
Top front lamp iron to Smokebox top
Change to Robinson chimney
Delete snifting valve and possibly fit evidence of Robinson draught retarder gear
Possibly fit top-feed
Change to taller dome
Change Ross pop valves to four column Ramsbottom, open, individually cased, or in combined casing.
Whistle to cab roof
Add GCR cabside number plate
Change to black with red and white lining
Add piston tail rods
Delete double steps from slidebar bracket and possibly add rudimentary single step to same
Fit new steps to mid-way along running plate

This is in addition to correcting any errors of pony truck position, cylinder/slidebar angle, missing bolt heads, bent connecting rods, shape of running plate edges above cylinders, cumbersome loco-tender coupling, etc etc if these annoy you.

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Let's see if Bachmann do bite the bullet if the issues Atlantic 3279 has raised are tackled?

I would think that our friends down under would be very interested in an original version for the Hunter Valley.