BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Oddly enough, just today I have moved the top front lamp iron and the whistle on my own O4, and this has revealed something I didn't notice. On the cab roof Bachmann have reproduced a bolted-on patch, presumably added to the real locos to cover the hole where the whistle first was. It seemed to me a reasonable idea to drill through the middle of the patch and insert a whistle (picture to follow later). Only with hole drilled and whistle inserted, could I THEN see that the patch isn't quite central on the roof :shock: :?
I've consulted drawings, but none of my reliable ones include a view that shows whether the whistle was central. Ground level photos are of little help, but I did find a shot in John Hooper's "LNER sheds in Camera" book, taken in 1935 at Doncaster, from a very high viewpoint. In that, there's an ROD with its whistle already placed in front of the cab, and a GC built O4 whose cab-roof whistle probably appears to be central. If that observation is right then my whistle is wrong.
Does anybody know the truth?

Image added as promised:
Even here it is hard to see that the patch and whistle are slightly offset to the right (driver's) side of the loco, i.e. away from the viewer, but they are!
STA75762 web - whistle.jpg
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Skaran
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Skaran »

Looks like a fair amount of work then to alter the Bachman O4 into an 8K. Hopefully down the track etc. Luckily I'm not in a desperate need at the moment having both a Craftsman 9N/A5 and Gibson 9J/J11 to do.

I assume the NuCast kit would also be in a later condition?
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

My drawings of the 8K show the whistle in the middle of the cab, but these are modellers drawings, not GAs.

I can't see that there was a mounting patch on the roof in any photos I have, nor in the side-elevation GA drawing I have access to. The drawing shows that the whistle had flanges (not sure on the terminology?!) which tightened directly against the either side of the cab roof sheet.

I'm afraid I have no means of copying the drawing I have, but here's the cab roof of a 9J: http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/tr ... 63192_9030

This whistle fitting was universal to all the GCR cabs with this arrangement.

Hope this helps a bit,

Will
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Will. The GA of the 8K reproduced in E. M. Johnson "Locomotives of the GCR" book shows the same thing, but again only the sectional side-elevation is available, implying from the way it is drawn that the whistle is on the top-dead-centre line of the roof, but not decisively proving the point. Thank goodness it isn't too late to alter my loco again (if necessary) without ruining things. I clearly won't be putting a final finish on the cab roof until I feel certain that things are right.
You've introduced me to a very useful looking website there!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Thanks Will. The GA of the 8K reproduced in E. M. Johnson "Locomotives of the GCR" book shows the same thing, but again only the sectional side-elevation is available, implying from the way it is drawn that the whistle is on the top-dead-centre line of the roof, but not decisively proving the point. Thank goodness it isn't too late to alter my loco again (if necessary) without ruining things. I clearly won't be putting a final finish on the cab roof until I feel certain that things are right.
There is a photo of the cab interior of a ROD loco in Rowledge. My copy is in storage at the moment so I can't look it up for you.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Just acquired one !! Can anyone suggest a suitable LNER number for one with the ROD tender as modelled by Bachmann , even better one that worked in the NE area in LNER days.
I have now established that they were Class O4/3 and 25 were NE based if anyone can assist ?

thanks
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As an initial guide, the GC built 04/1s, with vac brake and water scoop, got numbers up to and including 6252 when the LNER was formed. Locos taken over by the LNER from ROD disposals took available numbers above 6252, up to and including 6642, so at least you know that you are looking at the higher numbers for O4/3s. Clearly, not all of the numbers in that range went to O4s, and they weren't necessarily alloted in anything like the same order as the build-dates or makers No's for the locos. You also have to watch out from quite an early date because of rebuilds, conversions etc taking locos out of the O4/3 category. Possibly those that were cut down for service in Scotland went straight from ROD to O4/2 without ever being considered to be O4/3. I'm afraid I have nothing on shed allocations.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks Graeme
I have so far tracked one number down for a NE area engine . Now asked for confirmation of general layout as this is a Locos picture is in relevant Yeadon volume
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

O4/3 version .

So far numbers removed , buffer housings now red, Vacumn/ejector pipes front and side removed, Smokebox /Cab / tender number BR logo and GCR Tender plate removed. Chequer Plate area filled in front of Smokebox and smoothed. Loco and tender seperated and wiring connection altered as per earlier in this thread. Smiths 3 link couplings added. The white are on the Frames will have Rivet decals added, being white makes it easier to line them up.
I will not be using the horrible cast Coal tender weight . I have added a piece of Lead of the same weight inside the Tender Body.

I now have a NE area Locos details for the re numbering
5.jpg
6.jpg
Last edited by mick b on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Did you have the boiler off to file the chequer plate away? I'd probably do it that way so I could file fore-aft and try to miss the frame tops, although the lower middle lamp iron might get in the way.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

No I have simply filled with Squadron Green Putty in situ and rubdown when dry . Has come up ok.
On my Loco I cannot see anyway of shortening/adjusting the tender gap as there is a fixed screw mounting which is tight fit in the bar at the loco side and a pin on the Tender . Am I missing something or are the drawbars on your ones a different design ?

cheers
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If your tender is like all of the three I have handled, then if you ease out the leading axle you'll see a screw head that was hiding above it. Slacken this a little and the mounting plate for the coupling should be free to slide fore or aft. However - I found three out of three coupling screws were supplied by the factory just tight enough to hold the coupling but also just loose enough for a firm push on the coupling to move it inwards to a shorter setting without having to slacken the screw anyway.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Many thanks . Sorted !!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

O4/3 awaits weathering
4.jpg

Front plate filled and Rivets decals added to chimney edge and front frames
5.jpg
Skaran
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Skaran »

I was wondering, since I will be needing an O4 for my pre WW1 layout (moving shortly to a house with a games room, yay!) what differences there are between the limited NRM model in GC livery and the other Bachmann versions (apart from livery I mean). Since the NRM won't ship to Australia (according to their terms and conditions) and I want one in GC livery I may have to get one from another source and modify it.